The Cupid Touch Chapter 31 - Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Strife

Start from the beginning

"Go away," I shouted at him, and turned towards the buildings again.

"Helena, wait!"

I hated hearing his voice. It was still as sexy and as open and as warm as it had been yesterday.

I didn't wait. I walked as quickly as I could, picking my feet up high in the snow.

"Helena, I've been trying to call you all night! I need to talk to you."

"Joe, please." I stopped for a moment, and turned to face him, trying to be tough Helena again. Helena-who-never-gets-upset. Helena-the-bitch. Except I couldn't be a bitch to him. "You don't need to apologise. It's what happens. I always knew it would."

"I'm not trying to apologise," he said, taking four rapid steps towards me and grabbing my arm. "I'm trying to tell you that it isn't what you think."

"I saw you," I whispered. "And I felt it happen. You fell for her and she fell for you. Like always."

"And it was like being bathed in light," he said, nodding. "Everything went fuzzy and strange and I felt soft and fascinated and protective towards her. And then you revved your engine getting back onto the interstate and I turned and saw you. I remembered you. And you know what I got to understand about everything you've been afraid of? Of all that amazing, life-changing, dramatic love that was going to hit me? It had already happened. In the sports cafe of this place, when I threw a ball into your face."

He couldn't. He couldn't love me when I'd made him love her. He couldn't help it.

He drew in close to me, his breath making warm clouds in the air between us.

"Stop looking like you're trying to see through me," he said, with a smile that made me go weak right through my body. "There's nothing to see through. I love you. I'm crazy about you, despite the fact that you're a mean and horrible person, and despite the fact that you made my brother fall in love with the head of a drugs empire."

"Really?" I asked, in a whisper that made me sound like a child. "But what about her? You still love her."

Joe-Moe shook his head. "I don't. I don't know if knowing what happened armed me somehow, but as soon as I thought of you, that was it. The spell had broken, and we both just felt a little bit awkward. I helped her get medical attention and talked to the cops for several hours, and that was it." He put a hand up to the side of my head, his fingers sliding into my hair. It was the most wonderful thing I'd ever felt. "Free choice still exists, even when you and you're weird power is in the world. And I choose you."

And he kissed me.

That kiss, that soft, melting, hot, intense, dazzling kiss; that kiss right there; that was the moment that smashed the wall of ice I'd built up around myself. I felt it happen, and as terrifying as it was, I felt nothing but happiness.

I ended up crying on him for a few minutes afterwards, all wrapped up in a gorgeous hug.

"Am I forgiven for Axel?" I asked, once my voice was back.

"Ah, well, I woudn't go that far..." he said, and then grinned down at me. "He seems to be a good influence on Mr. Jeroniri, as far as he tells me. Which is a refreshing change from all the no-good guys who've influenced him."

"Soul-mates," I said, with a smile. "There's something to be said for them."

"Ah, I think they're over-rated," he said, and kissed me again. "Now," he went on, "I don't want to ruin the moment, which, let's face it, is lovely enough to put on a Christmas card and sell, but if we don't go somewhere warm soon I think my balls might actually freeze and drop off."

I laughed at him. "OK," I said, "somewhere warm it is." And then I gave him one last kiss for good measure, savouring the heat and the taste of him. "I love you," I said. "I love you."

*** Thank you to every single one of you who's come with me, Helena and Joe-Moe on this roller coaster (would have said Joe-Moe coaster, but I thought it might ruin the mood...) I'm profoundly grateful to you all for reading, and commenting, and keeping me enthusiastic about writing.

I hope you can forgive me for all the cruel cliff-hangers, and that you're as happy as I am that they got to find their happily-ever-after... or is it?!***

I'd love for all of you to preorder She Lies in Wait, the first novel that I will have properly, internationally published through Penguin Random House. 

The story: Six teenagers went camping back on a hot summer's night in 1983. They drank, they danced, and some of them coupled off. Aurora Jackson, younger sister to the highly desired Topaz, was happy to be asked along. 

But in the morning, Aurora was missing, and remained missing until her body was found thirty years later, in a place that only the teenagers knew about...

For all US readers, you can order now and your copy will be with you by the 8th January! 

https://www.amazon.com/She-Lies-Wait-Gytha-Lodge/dp/1984817353/

I'll be launching a huge competition with awesome prizes on the 5th December for anyone with a preorder receipt, so order away to be in with a chance to win big!!

Prizes will include signed books, including exclusive printed copies of The Cupid Touch dedicated to the winners and advanced review copies of She Lies in Wait, stash, and some seriously cool experiences. Get involved! :) 

***