Behind the Walls

This will be my first one shot.It's a story of change.
PS. This was actually done on a whim.
Wrote this for a school requirement.
Oh, and the characters' names were FMA-inspired. Hahaha. Enjoy reading!
*************

Selim was walking down the street when he saw one dirty young boy who was cautiously watching a rich old woman.

He stopped for a moment and observed. The young boy was wearing a dirty worn-out shirt, his somewhat long hair was filthy as well as his whole body. And he was small and very thin, like he had been starved for a couple of weeks.
Contrary to the young boy, the old woman was wearing an obviously new and expensive dress. Her fingers were all adorned with shining jewelries, and she was holding a small, shiny purse that was evidently filled with something good. He looked at the small boy again. He was fidgeting uncomfortably in the corner, still staring at the old woman. The way that boy looked at the woman seems unusual, like he was planning for something. But before Selim could even deduce what he was up to, the young boy carefully walked towards the old woman and immediately grabbed her purse. It happened so fast, the old woman was not given a second to react! And by the time she realized the purse was gone, the young boy had disappeared into the crowd.

But young Selim saw him. He knew where he had gone. He was silently debating with his inner self if he would go and tell to the police his whereabouts. But he hesitated.

“This does not concern me. Who cares? Besides, no one knows I knew where he is.” He thought to himself. And so, he continued to walk to his house as if nothing had happened.

A pickpocket…that’s what the little boy was. Selim never wanted to be one. He hated them. For him, pickpockets are irresponsible persons that depend on other people to live. He never understood why people need to steal food when in fact, you can just walk in to a restaurant and have your stomach filled.

Young Selim really had no clue, since he was rich. His father was a famous businessman in their town. And he was given everything he asked for.

“Young master!” a voice interrupted Selim’s train of thoughts.

He looked up and saw one of his father’s butlers in front of him. He was so deep in thought that he had not noticed that he had arrived at home. Their elegantly designed gate towered over him.

“Where have you been? We’ve been looking for you! Madam was worried that you went out on your own.” Sebastian, the butler, said.

“I just went to town to walk around. And as you can see nothing bad happened to me, I am still in one piece.” He arrogantly answered to Sebastian, and immediately went in. His mother, upon seeing him, approached and hugged him.

“Selim! Where have you been?!”

Selim breaks from his mother’s hug and looked at her with a bored face.

“Mom, Sebastian asked that very same question earlier. I just went to town.”

“What? You went there alone?! Why? Do you know there are a lot of bad people there?! They might recognize you from your father. You can never tell if they will hurt or kidnap you!”

“I’m here now. See? I’m safe.”

“You are safe, for now! But you will never know. Promise me you’ll never go out alone again!” His mother shot him a serious look. But Selim doesn’t seem to mind, he just shrugged his shoulder and went straight to his room.

“Selim! Selim! What will I ever do with you?!” his mother continued her rant, even though he had already left.

Once in his room, Selim was once again in his deep thoughts. He was annoyed at the butler’s and his mom’s behavior earlier. It was always like this. It was good that his father was away on a business trip.