Step Two

2. Notice his eye contact:

As already noted, a guy who is interested in you will look at you a lot, even if covertly. He may try to catch your eye or, if he's shy, he may suddenly turn his head away if you catch him checking you out. To test his interest, scan his face for four seconds, then look away (don't look any longer or it becomes awkward). Then look back, if he maintains or increases eye contact with you, he's interested. If his eyes wander to your mouth, he's definitely interested.

If you feel like you have held eye contact just a fraction of a second longer than you would with anyone else, or if he looks away quickly, then there is something there. On the other hand, if he breaks eye contact with you and starts looking around the room, he's not interested in you.

 - A gaze that has him looking left, then sweeping over your face, then looking right is a sign he's very attracted to you.

- Be careful not to confuse a shy guy's darting retreat from eye contact with a guy who is clearly disinterested. A shy guy who is interested will continue to steal glances at you. Be patient.

- If you don't like the guy, it can be uncomfortable to maintain eye contact; break it off quickly and scan the room yourself, as if looking for someone else.

- When he's around you and he says or does something funny and everyone around laughs, his eyes will flicker towards you for a second to see if you laughed too, this means he's keen to make a good impression on you.

- His pupils may dilate if he likes you, but this is quite hard to pick up on, and you might come across as acting strangely by looking that closely into his eyes. If you're around him for a long time, it could be easier to pick up on gradually.