Be Careful What You Feel

There's something behind me.  I can feel it there, staring at me.  It watches me from the shadows, though it doesn't know I can feel it.  

My name is Elizabeth.  I am sixteen years old and I live with my mom.  Two years ago my father was murdered right in front of me.  Since that day nothing has been the same.  Everyone treats me differently, like I'm going to break down at any minute.  I'm not going to.  I was taught to be stronger than that.  

My mom took my father's death hard, and she has withdrawn into herself, barely even leaving the house.  This leaves me to do the shopping, pay the bills, go to school, and try to track down my father's murderer.  Yes that's right.  I have to find the man that killed my father.  He was my best friend, and whoever did this to him is going to pay.  

Hopefully I can find the person before they find me.

************

Today is the day.  I can feel it.  Something important is going to happen.  I don't know where or why, but it will.  I feel it.

Since my fathers death I have changed.  I have become more aware of my surroundings and I get these feelings.  They always warn me of something bad happening, however they do not tell me where or when.  That is the only drawback.  

I was walking home from school with my Geometry and English book when I heard the sound of squealing breaks.  I jumped to the side and ducked automatically, and when I turned around I realized I did the right thing.  There had been a head on collision right behind me at an intersection. A car had pulled into the turn lane so they could get their child from school and another car had drifted into the same lane going the other way.  The force of the collision had sent some debris right over to me, and if I wouldn't have ducked and moved it would have hit me head on and maybe sent me to the hospital, too. 

As soon as I had taken in what had happened I ran to the cars.  There was a little black Volkswagen  Bug and a white Dodge Ram.  The engine of the Bug was crushing the driver and they didn't look like they were conscious.  The bumper of the Ram was crushed and lying to the right of the car.  It was the Bug that was coming towards me so that explained the black car parts.  The driver of the Ram looked fine though, and as soon as he saw me he started to get out of the car.  I shook my head no and got out my phone.  I called 911 as I walked over to him and once I got off the phone I told  him that it was probably best if he stayed in his car in case he had any unknown injuries.  The guy looked about my age, with short black hair and green eyes.  If I was interested in boys he would definitely be considered cute, however I had no time for them.

I walked to the bug and I called to the woman to see if she would respond.  When she didn't I walked back over to guy and sat with him until the police and ambulances came.  When they got to the scene they immediately went to the Bug.  A couple police officers came over to the Ram to talk to the guy, and thinking I was involved, to me.  I told them what I had seen and that I had been the one to call and then I sat quietly on the sidewalk until the guy from the Ram came over.  

"Thanks for calling 911.  I don't have a phone so I was going to have to try to find someone to call.  I don't think that lady could have waited that long."  He was right.  As soon as the firemen had broken up the car enough to get her out she was rushed to an ambulance and taken straight to the hospital.  I overheard some of the paramedics saying to call in a lifeline helicopter because they didn't have the right equipment at out local hospital.  

"No problem.  Looks like they are done here besides cleaning up so I need to head home.  My mom needs me to make dinner tonight.  See ya."

"Ok.  Cool.  Thanks.  By the way my name is Shaun.  Shaun White," he said.

"I'm Elizabeth.  Elizabeth McDaniels."  As I said my name I turned and walked away.  I had to stop by where I was when the wreck happened to grab my books, and when i bent over to grab them I could feel his eyes watching me.  I knew I wasn't the prettiest girl in the world, but I was built fairly well.  I blushed as I stood back up and without turning around I called out, "see you at school Shaun!"

I didn't hear a reply, so I sped up and made it home withing ten minutes.  When I walked in the door, I was surprised to see my mom on the couch.  She was wrapped up in a blanket watching the news.  I couldn't hear what was happening from the front door, so I slipped my shoes off and walked over to her.

"Hey mom, what's going on?  Are you feeling ok today?  Are you hungry?  I'm going to make spaghetti for dinner."

She slowly turned and looked at me with nothing but a look of fright.  "It's started."  As soon as she said that she fainted on the couch.  I made sure she was ok then I stumbled to the kitchen to figure out what she meant.  Making dinner and eating was a blur, and I don't even remember how I got to my room.  I knew I had homework, but My mind was such a mess I just went to my bed and before I knew it I was fast asleep.