She Hates Her Work

"Do you mind if I...?" Van talked through his teeth as he held the cigarette with his mouth and waved the lighter with his hand.

"No, it's fine."

He took a long exhale, twisting his mouth to let out the smoke through the crack of his window.

"When did you start smoking?"

"Can't really tell. Ma mates say I've had a cig in my mouth since I was two, bunch of apes they are." I laughed, looking ahead. His accent was more pronounced now. "So what do you do?"

"Me? I work at a dentist's office while I go to school."

"That sounds fun."

"I hate it honestly."

He pulled to a stop, glancing at me. "You hate your work?"

"It is work."

"Alright, fair enough. So sixth form huh?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Damn, sorry. Always forget they call it differently here. University?" He smiled at me. Good god, his smile was amazing. 

"Oh yeah. I'm in my third year."

"Studying?"

"Public affairs."

"Interesting. Hope to be on the radio?"

"I'd love to, but who knows."

"I'd listen to your station any time." He pulled to a stop at a red light. 

"What about you?"

"School was never my thing. Always ditching class to go play a gig somewhere. The teacher went mad whenever I came back, telling me she'd report me to the head and get me kicked out. I saved her the trouble and dropped out instead." He laughed, pushing his hair back. 

"How'd you end up here? Oh, turn left here."

"Well I ended up coming to New York for a bit, friend of my dad's had a couple of connections to some agents down at Columbia records. Just me in that giant city got a bit lonely, so I got the lads to come with me, and Larry. He's my best mate and our manager. Would've been class if you met him, but he had to head back home for a bit. Maybe some other time." 

"This is my street." I pointed and he drove. "That's really great. You and your friends are really talented and I'm sure you'll make it big in no time."

"Thanks love." I felt my face warm, but he kept talking. "I love being back home but coming to the states is really an experience. Now that Bob found his girl here I'm sure he'll want to be coming back. And I'd love to stay here awhile while we get the band going."

"Of course that makes sense. Get a solid fan base going here. You oughtta see what other places you can play at around here."

"Good plan. That's what I was thinking."

"That's me." I pointed to the apartment complex. He slowed to a stop at the curb, turning the engine off. 

"What gentleman would let a lady walk alone to her door?" He slid out, hurrying to open the door for me. I grinned as I slid out. This boy was definitely charming. 

He opened the front door for me, letting it close behind him. 

I tried to remember if the place was at least a little cleaned up. My roommate had gone to visit family and it was just me for now, so hopefully it wasn't as messy.

But it's not like Van was for sure coming in. He'd probably just walk me to my door and leave. We walked up the stairs, and just hearing him breathe behind me was nerve inducing. I hadn't really interacted with guys much, even at college.