2

Two days had passed since Jake had shown his wings. Caine was constantly by his side, trying to persuade him that keeping kids in check was a good thing, or that being in charge was fun. Every time Jake came up with some lame excuse to get away. Caine's idea of order was beating someone up until everything went exactly the way Caine wanted it.

He didn't want to be working alongside Caine in the first place, Caine had a troubled mind. That's why he was sent to Coates in the first place. Coates Academy was a place that rich parents would dump their kids, or a place where troubled kids were sent because their families couldn't handle them.

One girl named Penny was all for helping Caine, she adored him. She had some powers, but she didn't know what yet, she just had a good time pummelling kids. Jake didn't want to be like that, but saying no to Caine was dangerous, so he tried to just stay away from people.

Today though, Caine got tired of the mutants not listening. So he and Drake came up with a plan. Anyone who defied Caine and his rules would have their hands encased in cement. Jake spread his wings and flew as high as he could so he wouldn't have to hear the kids crying and begging and screaming.

He still didn't like heights, it had always been one of his worst fears, but now that he'd been allowed to fly, and had been allowed to show his wings, he spent as much time in the sky as possible to get away from Caine and the others. He actually enjoyed it sometimes, if he closed his eyes and just let his wings beat the air.

No matter how high he flew though, he could still hear a few terrified screams from below. He glanced down, he was about 50 feet up now, the ground seemed to swim below him. He closed his eyes and tried not to think of what would happen if he fell. The he hit something.

It was solid, he banged his head on it as he went higher and higher. It shocked him, like an actual, physical electric shock. And it burned, Jake folded his wings for a second and let himself drop away from what had hit him. He looked down as he fell and his eyes went wide in shock. He was falling! He was going to die! He began flailing around in panic, trying to slow his fall. His wings flapped and he began to slow again. He calmed himself and opened his wings some more, he spiralled down to the ground where he landed on his butt, next to Caine. He rubbed his head, which still hurt from hitting whatever was up there.

Caine looked down at him in shock. "Where the frick did you come from Angel?" He used the nickname that some kids had given him when they saw his wings.

Jake scowled up at him. "The sky." He grumbled, still running his head.

"Why are you rubbing your head like that? Did you hit a plane or something?" Caine laughed at his own joke, there hadn't been a plane in the sky since the adults disappeared. Jake's scowl deepened and he hauled himself to his feet.

"Shut up okay? I hit something, but I couldn't see what it was. It hurt though. Felt like I hit a bolt of lightning or something, only more solid." He snapped at Caine. Caine stopped laughing.

"Did you just tell me to shut up?" He asked, his voice was dangerously quiet.

Jake paled, "No! I mean yes, but I didn't mean... I just... I wasn't..." He stuttered. Caine was going to put his hands in concrete if he slipped up like that again. He definitely didn't want that to happen.

"Don't let that happen again or you'll be like them." He jerked his head to the kids who had their hands encased in a cement block. Their moans and shrieks were deafening. "Why were you flying up there anyway? I need help taking care of the troublemakers down here." He motioned to the kids again.

Jake hung his head. "I just..." He couldn't think of anything he could say that wouldn't get him in trouble.

"Well next time, don't do anything unless I say it's OK." He looks at Jake suspiciously.

Jake nodded and turned around to head back inside. A girl was being pushed past him, towards the cement blocks. He recognised her, he'd had a crush on her for a really long time, her name was Rachel, she didn't know what her power was until the day before, but she didn't tell anyone what it was. Nobody except Caine anyway. Whatever it was, she clearly didn't want to use it on the others, she wouldn't be on her way to getting her hands cemented if she thought otherwise. She had given up struggling and just stared at Jake, pleading him with her big, sad, brown eyes.

He couldn't do anything to get himself in trouble though, so he looked away from her and walked past. Just as he got to her side, she whispered something. One word. "Please."

Jake couldn't take it anymore, he punched the guy who was holding her. The guy, a normal, let go of her in shock. Then he punched back. Jake got hit in the face but continued to punch and kick and bite until he felt himself being pried off by someone. Jake swung up and elbowed his captor in the face.

He heard Drake scream in pain and Jake got scared. Drake was going to kill him for that. He tried flapping his wings to get away but he couldn't move. He felt himself being pulled out of Drake's grasp, he went flying through the air against his will. He couldn't make his body move, he began to panic.

He found himself face to face with an angry Caine. "I thought you were smarter than that." He sneered. He raised his hands and sent him flying into the air. Jake opened his wings as he fell so he wouldn't die. He landed safely on the ground. He looked at Caine again and felt his body being pushed towards the cement area. "Let's see how far you can fly with concrete on your hands. I'd cut off your wings but you might be useful later, I'll just chain them for now.

Jake's hands were pushed into the wet cement. Caine used his powers to hold them in place until the concrete had dried, then he let go. Jake gave up all struggles, he knew it was useless now. He tried flapping his wings, he made it a foot up, but his hands stayed put on the ground, it was too heavy for him to fly off with.

He felt Caine hold him in place as Drake came over and bound his wings against his body at uncomfortable angles. The chain was tights, he couldn't turn his body if he tried, he was stuck, held in place, with nothing but his legs free, not that he would be able to go far. He was put with the others and he sat hunched over, waiting for his next meal to come.

The girl he'd tried to help came in 45 minutes later, she saw him and dragged her block across the floor, trying to get to him.

Every step was painful, he could tell that she was tired just from the expression on her face. He wanted to help her, but in the condition he was in that was impossible. He called out for her to stop, but that just made her try harder to get to him. After 3 minutes she made it to him.

"Just... Wanted.... To... Say... Thanks." She panted. She slumped on her block, using her wrists as a pillow. "Wake me when the food comes." She murmured as her eyes closed.

Jake watched her sleep until the food came, he didn't want to wake her up, but he could never see her starve, so he nudged her with his foot.

"Hmm?" She stirred a little. She moved her arm as if to bring it to her face, but when it didn't move her eyes snapped open. She looked scared for a minute then she looked down. "Oh." She said, her voice full of disappointment. "I was hoping this was all just a nightmare." She said. A few girls and boys who sided with Caine only out of fear brought them plates of food and put it in front of them. They had to lean over and eat it like dogs. Next, they were given bowls of water, which they also had to lap up with their tongues like dogs.

Jake looked at everyone else when he was done eating. How could a kid be so cruel? Why would a kid do this to other kids? It was monstrous. Jake looked back at Rachel, who was falling asleep again.

"You'll hurt your wrists more if you use them as a pillow." He told her, "Lean on me, it will hurt less."

Too tired to reply, she leaned into him. The chains on his bare chest dug into his skin and pinched him. He grimaced but kept silent. "Good night Rachel." He whispered. He closed his eyes and fell into an uncomfortable sleep.
                                 ***
Thank you for reading! Just wanted to give my friend field_dreamer  credit on the new book cover, she was a huge help and I love it so so much so yeah. That's all! Plz leave feedback in the comments? It means a lot to me.