"So you lot are to be our newest Ghouls," Wren observed, her long white coat fluttering behind her. "First of all, I'm supposed to thank you for volunteering. After that, I'm here to apologize for taking all of your free hours, from the early morning till late into the night, day after day, until each and every one of you meets my standards. This is your last chance to back out and return to the regular Spook duties. If you stay, you will become a Ghoul, no matter how long it takes or hopeless your are. We cannot afford failure."

Her clipped words struck through the chill of the morning and into the minds of everyone present. Wren paused, waiting to see if anyone would take her offer and leave the graveyard, but everyone stared right back at her. She flashed a grin.

"Alright then, let's get started. Introductions first." She walked down the line of Ghouls behind her, listing them as she went.

"Nick specializes in throwing knives and making an ass of himself." Nick smirked and offered his half-salute.

"Ark is something of a sniper and tends to blow things up, so we call it 'demolitions.'" The man with the ridiculous eyebrows aimed his fingers at Wren and pretended to shoot.

"Conda and Leo are experts with firearms and dressing sharp." The twins grinned simultaneously, and Teddy noted their coordinated ties and vests.

"James is a master of the blade and won't smile to save a life." A severe-looking man simply watched Wren pass, his long gold hair slicked back.

Wren paused at the end of the line, staring hard at the empty space before clearing her throat.

"There is also Blister, but apparently, he decided today was optional." Wren's fingertips danced on top of the hilt of her blade before she lifted her chin and returned to where Cass stood.

"Cass here specializes in staves and hand-to-hand. She is also my second in command and one of the most talented combat specialists we have at the mansion. We're lucky to have her."

Cass accepted the praise with a nod, the sun gleaming off of her glasses.

"Well then, that's done," Wren said, clapping her hands together. "From here, you're going to split up and pick the Ghoul you'd like to learn from, the skill you'd like to focus on. If you already have a skill, talk to me and we'll test your aptitude, see what we have to work with. Let's make fighters of you all."

Baz glanced at Teddy and lifted his eyebrows.

"Well, what do you want to learn?"

Teddy considered what seemed interesting. Guns seemed powerful but a lot to handle, and something about them was inelegant. Why that mattered to him was beyond his understanding, but he turned his eyes on Cass. She was smiling at an interested Spook, gesturing over to a pile of staves leaning against the willow tree. Teddy considered hand-to-hand, mostly to see what his mentor could do. But then he remembered his run-in with the Lost Boys, and his surprising ability with the blade when dueling Raf.

"I think we'll see what I can do with a sword," he replied, and Baz nodded.

"I'm not picky," he said. "But those twins are cute. I guess I'll start with guns. Good luck!"

Teddy grinned and watched Baz trot off towards the blond twins – Conda and Leo – who welcomed him with grins and firm handshakes. Teddy himself headed for the austere gentleman – James – who was silently greeting his interested Spooks with a sharp nod to each.

Nick and Ark were leading a small group of Spooks out towards the farthest end of the graveyard, chatting and laughing as they went. Cass had settled her couple of Spooks beneath the willow tree and produced staves for them all. Wren began walking among all the groups, conversing with all the volunteers.

James cleared his throat and promptly led Teddy and the other swordsmen-to-be into the middle of the graveyard, where he drew the longsword at his side and spun it around his wrist.

"First thing's first," he said sharply, voice clear and emotionless. He reminded Teddy of Abraxas. "We see if any of you can carry a blade."

He pointed the tip of the sword at Teddy then flipped it into the air, catching the blade and holding out the hilt.

"You first."

Teddy gripped the sword, the hilt settling comfortably into his hand. He rolled his wrist, swinging the sword in an arc at his side, keeping perfect control. James showed no surprise but kept his eyes locked on Teddy, arms crossed over his chest.

"You've held a sword before," the Ghoul observed, but Teddy shrugged.

"I don't remember. But my muscles seem to know what to do."

James said nothing but gestured for Teddy to continue moving with the blade. Teddy took a step forward, shifting his grip on the hilt to swing downwards, only to switch momentum and slash the blade back up, and then he repeated the downward swipe – a 'Z' shape carved into the air. He breathed deeply and spun on his feet, weaving the sword around him, blade flashing in the sun. Teddy came out of the spin with a fierce slash that was meant for the neck of an invisible enemy – but suddenly, his enemy wasn't invisible.

A second blade crashed against his, stopping the swing short and sending a jolt up his arm. Teddy blinked against the glare to see Wren's fierce grin flashing at him from between the crossed blades.

"You seem to have a skill already, Master Teddy," she observed. "Let's put it to the test."

Without further warning, she shifted the balance of her saber and shoved Teddy's sword off to the side, the blades sliding off each other and sending Teddy a step past Wren.

He didn't stop to think or question anything – his body was already moving, arm bringing his sword back around to block the swing he sensed heading for his back. The clang of blade against blade rang out across the graveyard.

Teddy stepped around a headstone with his sword held ready before him, watching Wren. She prowled in a wide circle around him, eyes locked on his figure. She held her saber off to one side, as if silently challenging him to attack. He knew she was quick enough to snap up her blade against any attack he threw at her. Teddy simply held the blade in front of him, waiting.

Finally, Wren spun in, sword glittering. Teddy shifted, and his arm shook, absorbing the blow as his sword blocked her attack. She didn't pause but launched right into another series of slashes, sequences meant to stretch Teddy's reach, strength, and ingenuity.

He blocked every one, and then countered, pressing into her as fiercely as she had.

Wren was grinning at his unexpected skill, and continued to challenge him.

Eventually, she called a halt. Both of them were breathing hard, worked up to a sweat even in the chill air. Sheathing her saber, she held out a hand.

"Welcome to the Ghouls, Teddy," she said as he shook her hand. "Combat-wise, you're set. There's still more to learn about Ghoul duties, but everyone will be briefed on that after lunch. For now, there's someone I want you to meet. If all goes well, you'll further your skills with him."

Teddy passed his blade back to James, who accepted it without comment, and then he followed Wren out of the graveyard and down to the gate, out of the mansion grounds.