55 - CHANBAEK: The 27th of November

Start from the beginning

Chanyeol receives a video call from his Mom, Dad and sister, wishing him a happy birthday. They tell him they miss him so much, so Chanyeol assures them he'll visit them after their Winter Album is released. He closes his laptop with a sigh, smile never leaving his lips. How he wishes he has 48 hours a day to do his personal affairs.

The opening of the door to his right has his head turning around, seeing Baekhyun clad in blue pajamas walking out of his room. Chanyeol smiles expectantly, watching how the singer stumbles to his feet as he reaches the kitchen to get some warm milk.

"Hey," is Baekhyun's first greeting.

Chanyeol waits, lifting an eyebrow. "Hey."

"Good morning."

"And?"

Baekhyun blinks, sipping a few gulps of his milk before saying, "And what?"

As if they were in a staring competition, Chanyeol never leaves Baekhyun's eyes, looking at him intently until he says the magic words. He didn't just forget his birthday, did he?

"Seriously, you're creeping me out," Baekhyun mutters, nonchalantly waving his pretty hand in front of the taller's face. "Stop staring, I lose." He wipes his lips with the back of his hand and grabs a seat in front of Chanyeol.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Quietly, Baekhyun smiles.

And Chanyeol is far from being amused.

"Oh, there's a cake."

"Yes, there's a cake. And then?"

Baekhyun pokes the vanilla icing on top of the half-eaten chocolate velvet cake, putting his finger inside his mouth to suck it.

"Can I eat it?"

"Do you know what day it is today?" Chanyeol starts, glaring at an eating Baekhyun who seems too disinterested about what Chanyeol is talking about.

"Today?" Baekhyun shoves a forkful of cake inside his mouth. "Hmm... I don't know--"

"It's my--"

"Ah! Today is Friday, I think?"

Sighing, Chanyeol rolls his eyes and mumbles, "Forget it."

"Chanyeol."

"What?"

"You want some?" Baekhyun asks, thrusting a piece of chocolate cake past Chanyeol's lips. "Say ahh~!"

Chanyeol opens his mouth and accepts it anyway, half-heartedly smiling at Baekhyun who has the nerve to forget why they are eating a cake in the first place.

"Good?"

"Mm," Chanyeol answers with a low groan when Baekhyun grins, taking the whole cake for himself as he heads to the living room.

"Hey. That's mine," he mutters but Baekhyun ignores him, too busy eating the cake.

"I hate you," he says to himself, before grabbing his coat and luggage, walking out of the room without telling Baekhyun goodbye.

Baekhyun blinks at the door, and shrugs dismissively.

*

Shanghai.

Four hours later.

It has been four hours since Chanyeol opened his phone, glaring at it with his wide boring eyes like the screen would crack into pieces. Sehun had greeted him first on Kakaotalk and Instagram, so Chanyeol is hoping that maybe, just maybe, Baekhyun would do the same, too. In retrospect, he had greeted Baekhyun firstly before anyone else (bae) when it was his birthday, so Baekhyun should return the favor. He must return the favor because that is what best friends do, right?