Prologue: Waking up

Louis Dorsay

I groaned as I rolled over to my side, a strange feeling it calmness quickly left me as I slowly came back to my senses, noticing I didn't know this place around me. I didn't have any idea of how I came here either.

"The other one! Look! He's awake!" A female voice exclaimed. My vision was still blurry, but I could make out there were more people than just me and that woman that just said it in this room.

Finally, I fully regained my vision, and I saw three people in front of me. A tall, muscular, pale man with purple hair, that had a scar reaching from his left eye down to his neck, was standing by an old metal door, while two women, a tall, blonde one with bright green eyes, and a short one, with tan skin and long black hair, stood in front of him, staring at me, apparently waiting so I'd get up. So I did.

The metal door had a wooden bar keeping it close, apparently placed there by these people themselves. As I stood up, the guy took it away from the door and slowly pushed it open.

"I'm Amelie Devereux." The shorter woman told me, shaking my hand. "She is Freya Austens. And the man over there is Edward Delauney. Before you ask, we don't know how we got here either. What's your name?"

"Louis. Louis Dorsay." I replied, half smiling to her. "Where will we go, if anywhere, since we don't know where we are."

"Well," she began, clenching her teeth and scratching her hair. "This is a giant deserted city. So honestly, we can go anywhere. Just don't expect to find another soul. Or an exit. Those seem to be inexistent."

A cold gust of wind filled the room. Edward was silent, standing by the now open door, nearly blending in with the night with his black leather armour that I somehow recognized from somewhere. It was dark out, and nearly no lighting filled the room, save for the gleaming rays of the full moon that reflected on the metal door. "Let's go. We can't stay here for long." He affirmed.

Freya nodded in agreement. "We've got to go. Come in."

"What's happening here?" I agreed them, to be answered by Amelie.

"Something has been following us. We're afraid that if it returns, this door won't hold for longer. We really need to move."

I checked my waist for my sword, and it was still on its sheath, thankfully. At least I was ready for a fight if it was needed. I decided to follow them. I didn't have anywhere else to go, after all.

+++++

Edward Delauney

I don't know how long we stayed inside that goddamned house, but it didn't seem like it was enough to get the day any closer. The moon was frozen atop of us, it seemed. Didn't look like time was even passing.

This city had tall buildings built out of a strange black coloured stone that I had never seen before. Most of them had wide windows, that allowed us to look inside them to check what the building should be for

The other three people, that apparently had as much knowledge about this place as me, followed me, quietly. I was searching for a safer place. Whatever the beast that was trying to get to us was, I'm sure it was strong, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to stay in the same room as it.

Not so far down this narrow street of cobblestone, I could see a building which structure looked like that of a bank. Large metal gates, reinforced windows... just what we needed.

"We won't really live for long without food and supplies." Louis affirmed, sighing. "If this whole place is deserted, where will we get any?"

"It's deserted. Not void of useful objects." Freya calmly corrected him. "Yet, you are right. Either we find the necessary supplies for living, soon... or an exit."

"If there was an exit, don't you think we'd have seen it already?!" Amelie argued. "We're stuck here, and that's a fact!"

Louis let out what was obviously a growl, probably to Amelie. "If you're not going to help in finding one by instead declaring it impossible, feel free to go."

Amelie chuckled. "Amidst the two humans, we have an Elder and a, oh so threatening, Wolf. You think I am scared of you, Wolfy?"

I decided to intervene before a fight broke out. "Amelie, leave Louis alone." I firmly ordered, turning around to face her."And he's right. You can go if you're not pleased enough with our attempts."

She narrowed her eyes, but went silent nonetheless. Louis looked up at me and smiled warmly, a smile that I gladly retributed. We kept walking, and in few moments we had arrived in front of what I assumed to be a bank.

We went inside quickly enough. Louis and me pushed the two gates closed, and I pulled a small lever by the gates, hearing a locking sound. We were safe, finally.

There was a lengthy table that went across the back, from one side to the other , and metal bars with few small openings on them, probably to let the exchange of money happen. A door on the left side of the table was probably where one would go in and out from, to the back.

By each side of the gates, there was a line of chairs. Amelie and Freya sat on the left side, talking. I sat on the right line, patting the seat by me and looking at Louis. He say by me, looking at his feet and smiling, tapping them lightly.

We kept quiet for a moment, until I decided to start a conversation with him. "So, what do you do before... well, getting to this place, somehow?"

He scratched the back of his head, confused. "I... I do not know." He answered, a wistful tone in his voice. "I... something with weapons... fighting, you know."

"Mercenary." I assured him. "I was a soldier. The armours were always all black. I remember the faces of most of my friends... but not any names."

He nodded. "I can't remember... anything. It's all... so clouded. I just have vague memories."

"You were hit worse than me, then. I still remember some of it." I told him, laying back on the chair, and leaving one of my hands by me, tapping the side of my seat rhythmically.

"I don't know... I don't even remember my friends." He continued, biting his lower lip. "My mind feels blank. Empty."

I nodded, and half smiled at him. "We'll all regain memory, I'm sure, when we find a way out."

"Do you think..." he began, yet stopped. "No, this sounds ridiculous."

"Say it." I ordered with a soft tone, so I wouldn't sound demanding.

He sighed, but confined nonetheless. "That we knew each other? You know, the four of us. Before this?"

I rose an eyebrow. It could be, in fact, true that we might know each other from before. We both had something in common, after all. For all I know, I could have fought aside him. "Maybe we did." I replied, uncertain, of course.

"I think so. You just... look so familiar... and you are... unique. It'd be hard to mistake you." He told me, pausing between his words to look closely at me.

I chuckled lightly. "I know, not many are like me. Just my family, the Draconis family, and a few others still have Elder blood. It's nothing special, honestly, but you wouldn't mistake any of us."

He giggled and patted my back. "I know, mate, I know."

"Northern Astaria, aren't you?" I questioned, smirking.

He nodded. "One of the few things I still remember. I lived in a city called... Anrunsinis. That's the name. "

It was the city I lived in. That I was sure. The name was too familiar. "I'm not from there, but," I began, emphasizing the but. "I live... lived there."

"Don't say lived." He told me firmly, looking up with a frown. "We don't know yet. We will get out of here."

I smiled. "If you say so, then I won't."

"Great."