Taking Chances

Začít od začátku

*** 

   "Mar! Come on out! It's time!" Her mother called, knocking on her door. When she heard no answer she knocked louder. "Marlene!" 

   The opening of the door cut her off mid- knock. Mar stood there, one hand clutching the front of her dress, the other holding the back together. She smiled sheepishly. "Can you lace me up?" Her mother smiled, happy to know that her daughter still needed familial interdependence. She waltzed into the middle of her cluttered room. Drawers pulled open, articles of clothing falling out onto her rug covered floor. The doors on her wardrobe swung on the hinges haphazardly, dresses and sweatshirts falling of the hangers. Her mother looked a Mar, an amused smirk on her face. Mar blushed. "I- I didn't know what to wear, okay?" 

   Her mother didn't answer, instead choosing to walk over to her, jumping over the prominent piles of clothing. She stepped behind her and took the laces from her hands. She tugged on them, hard and Mar wheezed out, "To- ...tight." Her mother again didn't say anything, but loosened the laces and tied it into a neat bow. She took Mar's blonde hair out of the messy bun it was formerly in and brushed it with her fingers. She strode in front of her and smiled, satisfied with her work. 

   "You look gorgeous, Mar. Don't disquiet; it doesn't fit your calm disposition." Her mother said in a soothing voice, trying to calm her fears. "The Congregation of Elders would be crazy if they didn't choose your request." 

   Mar's head shot up sharply and her eyes widened. It was a serious transgression to disrespect the Elders. Though it does depend on how disrespectful the infraction was you still could get arrested. She knew her mother was only trying to make her feel better but she could do that without insulting the Elders, couldn't she? They were lucky that the Elders were kind and didn't infringe on their privacy. 

   "But- But they'll choose you because they aren't crazy!" Her mother smiled nervously and looked around the messy room again, half expecting to see someone jump out of the walls and arrest her. She stared at the wall for a few seconds and Mar moved to touch her shoulder, worried. Her mother spun around and looked at her shocked.  

   "What are you still doing here Marlene? You have to go now or you're going to be late!" She said, shooing her out of her room and down the hall. "Be yourself, don't embarrass yourself and be careful!" She shoved her out the door and proceeded to trip on the flat surface. Mar bit back a laugh and smiled at the irony of the situation. 

   She waved to her mother and called back to her. "Wish me luck!" 

   Her mother smiled and got up off the floor. She pushed off imaginary dust and looked up at her. "I would but you don't need it!" she yelled jokingly. Mar turned back and focused on the road. Her mother was right. She didn't need luck because the Elders were sure to choose her. 

*** 

   She arrived last. All of the other representatives were there, most older than her and a mix of genders. Everyone there was meticulously fixing their hair or adjusting their clothes. A few looked up to stare at her but not many. She obviously wasn't worth their precious time. 

   "Who are you?" A nasally voice asked. Mar sighed. Okay, so maybe she was worth the time of one whiney girl. She perked up at one thought. If all of them are like this then I'm guaranteed to get chosen! "Hull-low! Anyone in there?" Mar was interrupted from her thoughts. A snicker. "If all of them are like this than there's no competition!" 

   Mar looked up at the nasally speaker, who happened to be a girl, in annoyance. She was a little angry for being forced out of her thoughts. This was a big event and she had to be prepared. She breathed in and out, succeeding in calming herself down. She forced a smile on her face. "Hello. I'm Marlene Adams of Fisherman District #4. And who are you?"