(3) Show (3)

Protesting is not a word in my step-mother's vocabulary. If you ever did talk back to her, or even if you just voiced your opposing opinions, she'd write you off as an unruly child and punish you severely. My step-sisters always has to go without their precious makeup and hair care products and electronics for two months. I, on the other hand, get no food or water for three days. She always made me sleep in the basement as an extra punishment. The last time I had talked back to her, I was eleven and my father had just died. She made go in the nude to one of her parties. Luckily, there were only women at the party. I can't say that a few of them didn't stare. 

That's why I went with the men without complaints. My head rests on the tinted window as I watch the streets of Onyx blur past me. Everything blurs when you're moving. In the front seat, the two men were having a jolly ol' conversation. About what, I didn't know. They were speaking in a whole other language. 

I pout. My life is not suppose to be like this. I should be falling in love with my best friend, marrying him, having little vampire children after he turns me or something. Or maybe I'd fall in love with a human and we'd have little human babies. Either way, my fantasies always end up with me having children. Can you blame me? I'm a sixteen year old girl in a hell hole called life. I need a release somehow. 

My mind wanders to Kade. He's always stressed out during this time of year. Every time the Slave Ball rolls around, he's pressured by his dad to buy a slave. That's how he and his wife met, actually. It's not uncommon for Vampires to marry their slaves. In fact, a lot buy a slave or two just for the intent of marrying them. They have to turn them, however. It's a scientific fact that Vampires and humans can't have children together due to that whole cross-species thing. Our genomes (I think it was that; I never paid attention in biology) just don't match up. So even if Kade does buy and slave and marries her, he'd have to turn her. My chest tightens. The thought of him with another woman-be it human or Vampire-kills me. I secretly hope that I end up with him as my owner instead of that creepy Darnell Worcester. He's had his eye on me since I was in grade school. 

The car suddenly stops, and I'm brought back to reality. The CIA-look-alikes get out of the car before coming to my side. I don't even stop them from dragging me out of the vehicle. Mr. Baldy (already forgot his name) leans down. "Don't try any funny business, mutt." Ah yes, the derogatory term for human. How I missed thee! Obediently, I follow them into the back door of some building. The slaves' preparation building changes every year so that no one will take a slave before they're ready. It happened about fifty or so years ago. Apparently, stealing a slave before they are bought is a huge no-no.

The walls are all bleak and gray. Maybe they should paint in here. Bring in some paintings, get better  lighting, and definitely paint the walls yellow or something. Why am I thinking about this? I'm basically just walking down the hallway that leads me down to my doom. 

Mr. Baldy stops, but his partner keeps walking on, disregarding us two. Pulling out a key card, Mr. Baldy swipes it in the key holder before shoving me roughly into the room. "Wait here until Edita comes with your dress. Leave, and I'll kill you myself. Your relationship with certain families gives you no standing as of now." He barks before turning around briskly and leaving. I sigh. The certain families is only one family, and that's Kade's. 

The Talmadge's have a high social standing in the Vampire world, and their power is unfathomable.

My hazel eyes scan the room. It's tiny with a vanity on one corner of the room all lit up with those big light bulbs. On the other corner, there's a red love seat with a clothing rack tucked in between it and the wall. Nothing else fills the room, making it extremely uncomfortable. I caught my reflection in the mirror. The healthiest part of my is my bronze skin, but it's turning sickly.