II

I spent the entire day thinking it all over. What I could do that'd be more productive than being this random girl's taxi. However, to my displeasure and slight delight, I can't find anything to occupy me and decide to head to the address.

I choose to take my own car. For my birthday, my parents gave me my great aunt's old 1990 Ford Explorer. I drive through the city and find a small apartment. In front, Becca stands with a vaporizer in her hand.

"It's seven oh two, Danny-boy," she says while leaping in the car. "Tardiness is not a good trait."

"I'm sorry I was off for two minutes." She lets out a puff of vapor that encompasses the air inside the car. "Can you do that out the window, please?" I ask while still trying to maintain some kind of politeness.

"Calm down, Danny-boy," she says while rolling down her window. "It's not like this rusty green hunk doesn't already smell."

"Can we change the topic to something that doesn't come off as insulting?"

"Ugh," she groans and crosses her leg. "Okay, Danny. How are you enjoying Concrete City?"

"What? Do you mean Smoke Ridge?"

"Look out your window, Danny." I do so. "You see that cement bridge over the drainage river? You see the water flowing next to the grassy shore covered in the shade of tall trees? You see those big buildings sprouting behind it and not messing up its natural beauty?" she says as she describes the view out my window.

"I see it."

"That's Concrete City in a nutshell, half nature doing its thing and half of steel and cement doing its own. Nobody but city officials call it Smoke Ridge. It sounds like we live in a waste land."

"And Concrete City doesn't?"

"Do you like it or not?"

"Yeah, I like it. I just haven't really interacted with it."

We continue on as she'll periodically give directions. Eventually, the buildings fade as the grassy ground and towering trees take over the road.

"Left," Becca says to guide me down a dirt path. I see nothing but trees leaning over the car as I become more and more timid with each passing breath. Part of me begins to regret agreeing to this.

After a couple of minutes, the road extends into a clearing. Dozens of cars are parked along the edge where the trees stop as there is a crowd formed in the middle. A circular platform standing around six feet tall is in the center of the clearing. On top of it are band equipment and a figure concealed under a velvet cover. On the stage's edge are several small lights. I park my car and follow suit of the others.

"Hurry the hell up," Becca laughs as she is already out of the car before it comes to a complete stop.

I walk out and see Becca hugging a guy and girl. The guy's hair is slicked into a point on the front as the girl's brunette hair cascades down her shoulders in small curls.

"Hey, guys." Becca says as she finishes hugging the girl. She turns around to me. "Oh guys, this is my friend Danny-boy."

"It's Daniel," I say.

The girl extends her hand out as we shake. "Hi. I'm Tracy and this is my twin brother, Trent." I shake his hand as well.

"Good to meet you," he says.

Before anymore formalities can ensue, another guy walks up to Becca. His messy hair is encased in a wool beanie and his faced covered in small scraggly hairs and sunglasses.

"Hey, Becca," he says while hugging her.

"Nate! How are you?"

"I'm okay."