Book Recommendations

Start from the beginning

If you love adventure of space exploration, you will love this book.

If you love great friendly banter between women, you will love this book.

If you love a unique and believable romance, then you will love this book.

Published Book Name: The Book Thief

Genre: YA Fiction

Author: Markus Zusak

Review:

In my opinion, this novel is a fresh look on the Holocaust. Most Holocaust books that I have read in school are centered on the victim's story, yet so much more went on at during WWI. The book is focused heavily on Liesel, an orphaned German girl, whose adopted family takes in a Jewish boy. Also, what made The Book Thief interesting is the narrator that popped up every once in awhile to be the barer of bad news, Death. This character foreshadowed the horrific events to come. Meaning, I should point out to you that it takes the shock out of these events, but will not take away from anticipation or emotion when tragedy strikes.

For this type of book, I will give a warning, and it is mostly why I hadn't finished it when I was in college and went back for it later. One, this book is long...approximately, 540 pages. So, if you are like me and need to finish something I read the same day, most likely not going to happen. Two, it is stated as Teen Fiction in some countries, and I feel that it is too heavy handed or very draw out.

But, if you enjoy beautifully crafted writing, then you may fall in love with The Book Thief. This prose that Zusak used in the novel was amazing. The writing really painted an intense picture of setting, for example, "The town that afternoon was covered in a yellow mist, which stroked the rooftops as if they were pets and filled up the streets like a bath." (p.247) Also, from what I can say about this quote is that there is color here, a live among the wrecked. Unlike what you would see in the Schindler's List, in which everything is told to in a grey fashion.

Also, if you enjoy great characters this book may be something you'd like to pick up. With many of the characters, you get little tidbits of their lives that normally someone wouldn't see. Making, Leisel and the other characters in the book are rich, interesting. You may hate some of them, but will ultimately grow to like them. If you love to care about the characters your reading, of having an emotional rollercoaster with them, then this book is for you.

- Article written by

JanelleTriplett (Book Recommendations, FWOY)

Wattpad Book Name: Ulysses

Genre: Short Story

Author: thislittlepiggie