01 / introductions

01 / introductions

❝'cause I've done some things that I can't speak and I've tried to wash you away but you just won't leave❞

~ Halsey - Haunting

Around the corner from where he was pressing against the wall, Nathan could hear the groans from the walkers as they slid their shoes across the concrete. He tried his best to keep quiet so that the flesh-eaters wouldn't go running for whatever live meat they were able to hear. God knows how many there were and how many he can take down just on his own. He pursed his lips, taking a peek at the walkers groaning in front of the pharmacy whose alleyway he was waiting in.

Nathan kept his eyes on the undead walking away from the store. Thank goodness, because he was getting exhausted of waiting and he'd be lying if he said he wasn't starving. The last thing he had ate was a twinkie he managed to save and savor the taste, which was at least 10 hours beforehand. Now, he was on a run for any supplies and food that he would be able to find in this pharmacy. Maybe tomorrow he'd be able to go out for a hunt, that is if there were any animals still alive around the area he was currently camping out at.

It was practically a routine for him during this apocalypse: eat, kill any walkers that he comes across with, sleep on high alert in case of anything that could possibly happen. That cycle would continue until he runs low on his supplies, inevitably making him to go on a supply run. So that's how it was now-- going on a supply run and hopefully hitting the jackpot for food that would last him a while if he spares it considerably for the time being.

Nathan quickly got to the front doors of the pharmacy before any of the undead would be able to notice him and run to the boy in order to get a bite out of him. He kept his footsteps light and quiet-- just because the walkers were leaving the premises doesn't mean there isn't any danger inside the store. It didn't matter if it was the dead or the living that might have been inside, especially nowadays since the world had gone to shit, both had been a threat. But, to Nathan, the living had been considered a threat to him ever since he was a kid, but at such a young age he wasn't capable of protecting himself, or saving himself.

The teenager walked around the aisles of the pharmacy, his fingers right over the handle of his knife that was in the holster strapped on the side of his waistband on the baggy jeans he had on. Nathan looked around for any sign of a walker or anybody that would think of going in the exact same pharmacy for a supply run.

Once it was confirmed that the store was clear, the young teen shrugged the backpack he had been carrying off his shoulders. He walked down the aisles and grabbing from the shelves anything edible and shoving them into the backpack. He moved along to the small fridge that was set right next to the cash register, which obviously the drinks inside weren't cold ever since the power cut at the start of the apocalypse.

He slid the door open, grabbing the last of the water bottles that were inside. Setting the backpack on the counter of the cash register. he proceeded on putting the water bottles inside. As he put the last water bottle inside his backpack, his eyes wandered over to the countertop where little gift cards were put on a stand, along with little folded cards.

On the one card he was particularly focused on, had "#1 Dad" printed on the front. Nathan picked up the card, opening it and skimming over the printed text on the inside. He rolled his eyes when he finished looking at it, thinking back to his own dad-- no, Nathan wouldn't even call him a dad. That man didn't own up to that title.