Chapter 4

Ch. 4

When we walked into the classroom, I was relieved to see that the teacher wasn't there yet.

"You're lucky the teacher isn't here, otherwise I would have had to smack you." I say as I send Dylan a glare.

He gasps in mock shock (hehe that rhymed) and brings a hand up to his heart as if it actually hurt him. "You would hit me. I'm too goodlooking to get hit." he finishes off with a smirk.

 "Oh don't test me Dyl. After the news that you delivered earlier I really am not in a pleasant mood right now. You never know what I'll do."

"Oooo.....getting fiesty. Me like" His eyes light up and he winks at me.

"Oh stop fooling around, this is serious. I don't want a mate. Never have, never will. End of Story."

"You say that now. But when he does show up, if he shows up, you'll change your mind. You can't deny your own mate."

"Oh just watch me." I glare defiantly.

"Is that a challange?" He smirks and raises an eyebrow.

"No it's a promise. I will not accept my mate. I don't want to get hurt. And having a mate will lead to just that."

"Why do you always assume that you'll get hurt if you ever find your mate? What happened to your mom and dad had nothing to do with them being mates or wanting to be seperated. What happened to them won't happen to you unless you let it happen." His joking face turning very serious, so I knew he was believed what he was telling me, because he was never serious.

"I'm just scared Dyl." I look at the floor so he won't see the hurt and fear in my eyes.

"Rai? Rai, look at me." his voice becoming softer with concern.

I just keep staring at the floor and start counting the tiles. I get to 20 before i feel him lift my chin up so that I look into his eyes.

 "Rai, I know you're scared, and you have every reason to be. But what happened to your parents won't happen to you." He looks determind, "I won't let it happen to you. I could never bear to see you in that kind of pain. And I will do whatever I can to keep you from being in pain."

"Promise?" I give him sad puppy eyes.

He chuckles, "promise." He kisses my forhead and turns to the front of tbe room just as the teacher walks into the room.

"Hello class. Sorry I'm late, but it is also my first day here as a teacher. I just moved here, so it'll be interesting adjusting. So instead of dong work how about we play a little game so I can get to know all of you, and you never know, maybe you'll learn something about each other as well." The teacher smiles at everyone. She has shoulder length midnight black hair and shining blue-violet eyes that looked like they could look right threw you. She looked like she was around our age, so I'm assuming she is freshly out of school.

"Ok, so for the game, we will have to move the desks, so that the center of the room is clear." She smiled brightly at the class. 

I got up but my desk was already next to the window so  I didn't have to move it, but Dyaln moved his over so that it was up against mine and then came to stand next to me in the center of the room. 

"Alright, now that that is all settled, I would like everyone to get into a circle."

There was some suffleing as people went to stand next to their friends in the circle that was slowly starting to look like an oval.

"Ok, so, the way this game goes, is that we will go around the circle and you will say something about yourself and anybody who has that in common with you will step forward. For example, if I said that I liked to go swimming, anybody else who liked to go swimming would also step forward." She looked around the room to see if everybody got that, "are there any questions?"

Everyone shook thier heads, "Great then lets get started. Is there anybody who would like to volunteer?"

A small, fraile looking girl with glasses stepped forward and cleared her throat, "Um, I-I'll go first."

"Great, so, start with your name and something about yourself." Mrs. Darcey, smiled at the girl.

"Um, my name is Emily, and I like to read."

Only about 4 other's stepped into the circle. "Really, that's all the people that like to read? Well that's disappointing," Mrs. Darcey frowned a little, "Reading is good, it helps stimulate the brain. And you never know what you'll learn from reading." She then pointed to the boy to Emily's left, "Alright, your turn, what's your name, and something about you."

"My name is Kevin, and I love animals."

Almost everyone in the class stepped into the circle, all of the people from the pack, including myself and Dylan, and a couple humans. 

 This continued on until it was my turn. I stepped into the circle and hesitated before I continued, "My name is Raine, and I haven't seen my dad in years, and it kills me to think I may never see him again."

Nobody else stepped into the circle, and it got really quiet as everyone stared at me with a mix of emotions.

I looked over to the teacher and she was looking at me with a mix of shock and empathy, "Wow, Raine. That its the most honest answer I think anybody has given. Thank you for being honest, and I am truely sorry."

Just then the bell signaling the end of class rang and I ran out of the class before anybody could ask me any question.

I heard Dylan yelling after me, but I couldn't stop, I had to get away. Before the tears that were already starting to burn my eyes, fell.