Epilogue - Five Months Later

Kennedy twirled in front of her bedroom mirror, watching the skirt of her dress spin out. The garment was as light and carefree as a warm May evening, which it was. As infrequently as she wore dresses, it felt strange to have bare legs. She was sensuously aware of the skimpy lace panties she wore beneath her dress.

The first time she'd worn actual lingerie instead of her usual utilitarian underwear, Charlie had been most appreciative of her efforts. She was wearing a new set today, racier than any she'd worn before, and couldn't wait to see Charlie's face when she revealed it.

When she heard a knock at the door, she hurried to answer it as fast as she could in her ridiculous heels. Making her a full three inches taller than usual, she sincerely hoped the shoes were worth the effort.

Kennedy pulled the door wide. "Hi, Charlie."

Charlie didn't respond. His entire body froze except for his eyes, which rose and fell, taking in Kennedy's outfit.

"Too much?" she asked shyly.

Charlie cleared his throat. "Are you kidding? I always knew you were gorgeous, but today you look like you're ready to walk the red carpet."

Charlie looked even more breathtaking, in her opinion. He wore a fitted white dress shirt with the sleeves rolled to the elbows, a gray suit vest and matching trousers, plus a tie the same shade of crimson as the freshly-dyed streak in his hair. He moved to take Kennedy into his arms, kissing her tenderly, yet thoroughly.

"Mmm," Kennedy murmured. "You smell like books."

"You caught me," Charlie laughed. "I was unpacking a new shipment of books today, and ended up sitting down to look through some of them."

"I hope you worked up an appetite. I hear this restaurant is incredible."

"Well, we are celebrating. Congratulations, Madame PhD."

"And congratulations to you, too, Sire Undergrad. I'm kind of disappointed that you're starting on campus just after I'm leaving."

"I'm only going part-time. I'll be around plenty. In fact, that reminds me."

Charlie withdrew a small white box from his pocket. It was about the kind of box a chocolatier might use to wrap a single truffle, except that it was rectangular instead of square. Charlie pressed the small box into Kennedy's hand.

"What's this?" Kennedy asked.

Charlie smiled like the Cheshire cat, but didn't speak; he put his hands in his pockets and nodded at the box. Kennedy tugged at the white ribbon tying the box closed and lifted the top. Inside was a key hanging from a matching white ribbon.

"A key?"

"To my apartment. The lease is up on your place soon, so I was hoping you would share mine."

"Oh, Charlie! I'd love to."

Kennedy flung herself into his arms. Charlie spun her in a circle and Kennedy squealed with delight. Her head spinning, she pulled back a little.

"Guess what I can do in my heels."

Without standing on tiptoe or pulling Charlie down to her, she kissed him.

"Mmm. Good shoes," Charlie murmured.

Kennedy looked at the key in her hand, then slid her hand into the loop of the ribbon.

"I like your bracelet," Charlie said.

"I like it too."

"But I love you."

"I love you, too, Charlie. I love you, too."