Chapter 44: Am I In Your Head?

My editor picked the title for this chapter, in case you guys were wondering why it’s more random than usual ;P (just kidding, love ya Ella ;])

~~~

Ky Madison

CHAPTER 44 Am I In Your Head?

I scratch behind Kovu’s ears as I lie on my back, staring up at the ceiling. Arthur McGuffin is downstairs quietly talking to our parents. He’d offered to drive us home, saying he’d like to “chat with them” about what happened tonight. I know what he’s really telling them though. He’s too kind-hearted, that man is.

Kovu purrs and nuzzles into my chest, and when his tail accidently flicks across my knuckles, for the first time it stings rather than tickles. I wince slightly, pulling my hand away. He looks up at me curiously, like: Hey, who said you could quit petting me?

I switch hands, resting my right hand on my stomach and using my left to stroke my spoiled kitty, who lies his head down again once I resume scratching him behind the ears. My knuckles sting, the side of my head aches, and I have to put a bandage on my forehead. But every time I think of how it was all for my brother, the pain doesn’t seem so bad, and I feel proud of myself.

That may sound weird to the average person, but it’s true. Kyle has always protected me, always looked out for me, and so when I can do something for him, I feel happy.

“Kylee! The principal is about to leave!” my mother’s voice calls up from downstairs.

“Coming!” I call back. I scoop Kovu up and he yowls a little before quickly relaxing, closing his big blue eyes. “Spoiled kitteh cat,” I murmur to him as I make my way down the stairs. “You’re a spoiled kitteh cat.” He cracks an eye open, like: Hey I’m livin’ the dream, sistah.

Dad has his arm around Mom, pulling her close as they watch me descend the stairs. Arthur’s eyes are on me too. They all have pretty much the same solemn look in their eyes. How depressing. I smile at Arthur in an attempt to ease up the atmosphere.

“Sorry I couldn’t keep out of trouble for longer…” I say, “I think I’ll stick to that AP Physics class when I get back to school.” And not just because Madelin and Evan are in it! It’s also because the teacher is a fat-head and I want to be able to annoy the Hell out of him now that I’m not obliged to stay out of trouble.

What? That is totally a legit reason to want to stay in an AP class! And hey, at least I’ll be getting college credit for it- I mean, you know, after I ace the exam.

Arthur smiles at me, his eyes tired. I know he wishes he didn’t have to suspend me. But he’s the principal, someone has to get suspended. I wish he didn’t have to feel bad about it though. “I’m sorry we couldn’t keep yeh coaching the basketball team. That was a very impressive game tonight.” Arthur tells me.

I grin proudly. “Wasn’t it? They did great… And that’s why I know they’d be great with any coach.” I shrug, “Either way, Murray is coming back soon, that’ll be good.” The glass is half-full, tonight.

“Yeh’ll be greatly missed.” Arthur says, his eyes searching mine.

“Oh, believe me, when I get back I’ll be around so much that I’ll start to annoy them.” I laugh. I put Kovu on my shoulder and hold him there with my left hand so that I may extend my right. “Good-night, Principal McGuffin, I’ll see you in a week.”

Arthur very carefully takes my hand, cautious as to not brush his rough fingers against my knuckles. “Good-night, Miss Madison, I look forward to seeing yeh again.”