Chapter 13

Devan's house was silent. Everyone had gone to bed. I was sleeping on the couch in Devan's room. I sighed and turned over for the millionth time. I couldn't sleep. I sat up and looked around before spotting his laptop. I quietly got it before sitting back down. I picked up the DVDs and put one in. I might as well make sure these are the right ones. I hesitantly put headphones in and pressed play. The video started. I saw me. Laying on the ground, weak and defenseless. He was standing over me. We were in the living room. The camera was on the coffee table, that was covered in beer. "You worthless mut." He spat, kicking me in the side. As I watched it, it felt as if I was reliving it. My body laid still, motionless except for flinches here and again. He straddled me, holding my arms down. Here comes the worst part. "If you fight it, it will be worse." He slurred. My stomach was going crazy. I watched as he pulled out a condom, then I couldn't watch it anymore. I covered my eyes as tears ran down my face. I just listened. Listened to his moans of please and my useless crying and grunts of effort to try an get him away. Away from me. Forever. I remember that helpless feeling. I had it every time I thought about him. I had my eyes covered until I heard it was over. Then I watched as he got up and walked towards the camera, his face obvious, full quality. Just the proof I needed. He turned off the camera, panting with that evil smirk on his face. I got the disc out and sniffled. I turned the laptop off and quietly out it where it belonged. When I laid back down, I definitely couldn't sleep. I stared at the ceiling for what seemed forever. I was thinking about tomorrow, having to see him again, play that video in front of everyone. I sighed to myself as I forced my eyes closed. I slowly drifted off to sleep, afraid and worried.

     I woke up to bright light coming through the window. I stretched before actually looking around the room. Devan was gone and I heard faint talking somewhere in the house. I sat up and wiped my eyes. I was in no way shape or form ready for the day, but it had to be done. I got out of bed, well off the couch, and walked towards the noise. I found Devan and Harry playing GTA in the living room, with everyone watching intently. "It's about time you fucking got up!" JJ shouted when he saw me. "Hey. It is way too early for yelling." I said, putting a hand over my forehead. "Early? It's noon!" Tobi said, pointing to the large click on the wall. "Yeah, we've got to go in two hours." Ethan said, not looking up from his phone. There was barely any cell service out here, but there was wifi, which was good enough. "Ready for today?" Vik asked, looking at me with kind eyes. "Hell no." I said, taking a seat beside Ethan on the slept-on couch. "It'll be okay." Josh said, patting my shoulder from behind Ethan's head. "You'll say that now." I mumbled, so no one could hear me. I looked up and saw everyone staring at the television screen, all but Simon. He was staring  at me directly. I looked at the screen quickly. "Ah! Fuck off!" Harry yelled, standing up an putting his hands behind his head. "I win again!" Devan shouted, pumping his fists in the air victoriously. I smiled. I sure had missed him.

     We watched the guys play GTA until it was time to get ready. We all were wearing our best clothes, and we looked amazing. Now, we were walking towards the courtroom. I listened intently to my heels clicking and I grasped the disk case right in my hands. All I had to do was go up there, answer questions, and give them the video. I kept repeating this to myslef, but the nerves wouldn't dissipate. The tall door opened in front of us and I felt sick. I followed my lawyer lady that had met me here up to one if the table things in front of the church-like pews. I sat down and stared down at the polished wood, not looking up once until I was called to the stand. I walked up there with shaky legs, not listening to anything but my thoughts. When I sat down beside the Judge, I forced my eyes to look up. There wasn't many people in the pews, but there were guards by the door, making me even more uneasy. I looked at the table beside ours, the one my dad was sat at. He had handcuffs on and a guard behind him. He looked up at me with the look that I saw way too frequently. Hatred and anger. I said that oath thing to make sure I tell the truth before my eyes met Devan's. "Is it true that your father, John Zerker, has abused you your entire life?" My lawyer lady asked. "Yes." I said, not looking away from Devan's eyes. "What else did he do to you?" She asked. I sighed and Devan gave me a nod. "H-He used to rape me. He would let other men rape me, for money." I said, shifting I comfortingly in my chair. "Do you have evidence of this?" She asked. I nodded and held up the disk, which she took. I watched her as she walked calmly to a small television on a cart with wheels. She positioned it so everyone could see and my stomach sank to my feet as she out the disk in. I watched my body show up on the screen. The same as last night. It was obvious that it was me in the video, my face was tear-stained and red. I looked down at the glossy wood and kept my eyes there. Soon, I had to bury my face in my hands. I heard the noises. Those I unforgettable noises. Then, it stops and I heard the breath. The video stopped. "Is it true that it was you in that video?" Her voice filled the quiet room again. "Yes." I said, looking up again. My voice was shaky. "Can you clarify just wen this took place?" She asked. I looked at her. She had the nicest looking face ever and a reassuring grin. "About a month ago." I said. She nodded. "That's all I have." She said. I got up and walked quickly back to my seat. I didn't dare look at anyone, not even Devan. This entire room had just seen me be beaten and raped, they've even seen my boobs. I didn't listen to anything else. I looked up when I thought I should and nodded with what sounded professional. Soon, it was silent. "Guilty." I heard the Judge's voice boom and the gavel hit the thing. I smiled an flooded over at my dad. He was glaring at me with the same hateful look and I smiled. I smiled great. I had a reason to smile. I clapped and cheered with the rest of the crowd. I stood up and excused myself back to Devan. He wasted no time and gave me a hug. "I told you he could never hurt you again." He said. I smiled into his chest. He did say that. "You did great." He said, pulling away from me. I turned to rest of the guys who just stared at me. "Let's not talk about it." I said, looking down. Soon, arms were wrapped around me. I looked up and saw Josh's beard and I smiled. More and more arms were around us in seconds. I couldn't help but let a tear escape my eye. This was my new family. Even though I have only knew them for a little over two weeks. I love them, already.