Chapter 1

I shut the for quickly behind me. I had completely lost track if time with my friend Devan. We were mudding and I was just having too much fun to stop. My dad would be home any minute now, and it wouldn't be pretty. I hadn't done any of my chores and the four wheeler and I were both covered in mud. I walked quickly to the bathroom, being careful not to get mud everywhere. I took a quick shower and changed into a hoodie and sweatpants. I put my muddy clothes in the washer and ran to the kitchen. I started doing the dishes quickly when I hear the front door open and slam shut. My stomach churned as I heard the because footsteps come closer. "What the fuck?!" I heard my dad's voice yell from the doorway. I slowly turned around to finally look at him. He was completely wasted, was usual. Three more guys stood behind him. Great, even more tonight. "Why the hell haven't you done your chores, you worthless piece of shit?!" He yelled, slamming his beer on the table and walking towards me. He brought his hand back and punched me hard I'm the cheek. That's going to leave a mark. He turned towards the guys behind him, all with smirks on their faces, then back at me. "You know the routine." He said with a small nod. I did know the routine. I stayed where I was and shook my head. "You'll do what I fucking say!" He yelled an punched me in the eye. I can't do this anymore. "Fuck you!" I yelled, grabbing a knife from the sink and pointing at him. "Get the fuck out of my house! Never come back! I fucking hate you! Everyone hates you!" He yelled, stepping away from the trembling knife. "Go pack your shit!" He yelled. I walked backwards to the door and down the hall to my room. "Where the hell you gonna go?!" He yelled after me, staying where he was in the living room. Devan's. That's where. "You don't need to fucking know!" I yelled and walked into my room. I hurriedly packed a bag of clothes and my phone and charger. I walked out and back down the hall with the knife still in my hand. My eye had begun to swell already and it hurt to blink, and my cheek hurt when I moved my mouth. "Where the hell are you going?!" He yelled at me. The other men had gone. They were scared of me, I knew they were. I was still shaking, scared because I had finally stuck up to him. After all of these years of being raped and beaten reapeatedly, I just wanted to leave. "Give me the four wheeler keys!" I yelled, gripping the knife. He reached in his pocket and threw than at me forcefully, but I caught them in my free hand. "You better get your ass back here by dark!" He yelled as I ran out the door, sprinting and still shaken up. I jumped on the four wheeler and cranked it. I put my bag in my lap and I drove. I drove on the long dirt roads and down hidden trails in the woods to Devan's house. The only person who loved me in this world. My mom had left when I was born, I had no one but Devan. Still panicking, I killed the engine and grasped the keys right in my hand and ran to the front door. I banged on it repeatedly until it opened. Devan's mom opened it. Her face was shocked and then worried when she saw my puffy and bruised face and my shaking body. I engulfed her in a hug and sobbed. "Mackenzie?! What the hell happened?!" She yelled, walking backwards. I walked inside and slammed the door behind me, locking it quickly. Devan came jogging through the kitchen, hearing the yelling. "Mackenzie!" He yelled and pushed passed his worried mother. He hugged me tight. "I left. I finally left." I sobbed into his shoulder. He rubbed my back, letting me cry. "It's okay. He's gone now. He can't hurt you anymore." He said comfortingly. I pulled away and looked at his mother. Him and his parents knew about my dad. "This is the only place I could go." I said, wiping my eyes. "Honey, you're always welcome here." She said, reaching up and touching my shoulder. "I can't stay here forever." I said and looked at my feet. Devan and his mother was silent. I looked up at them, them looking at each other. "Let's go to the living room and talk about this." She said in a sweet voice. I nodded and followed them quietly to the small, cozy room. I sat down in a chair and they were on a couch facing me. "Mackenzie....I've found your mom." She said and put a strand of hair behind her ear. "My mom?" I asked. She nodded and grinned. "I had been looking for her ever since I found out about your dad. I finally found her. She lives in London and she really wants you to come live there and get away from your dad." She said, looking at Devan who nodded. I sunk back into my chair. London? I had lived my entire life in the woods in Texas. I had gone to school, but was recently made to quit because of my dad. "I can fly you there tomorrow if you'd like." She said. I looked at Devan and sighed. I didn't want to leave him, but what choice did I have? I couldn't live with them for a year. I am seventeen and could move out in a year, but I could stay with my mom for as long as I needed, and she wanted me there. "Your mom did say that you have a brother too. And that if you decided to come to London, you would have to stay with him." She said, making me look at her again. "Why?" I asked, sitting up a little bit. "She said that they don't have the room and your brother would be happy to let you move in." She said in her kind voice. I nodded in response. "Could I possibly talk to my mom?" I asked. She smiled and stood up, motioning me to follow. I brought my phone with me and followed her to the kitchen. There was a single piece of paper in the fridge with a number on it. "That's her. Her name is Vanessa." She said and pointed to the paper. I nodded and dialed the number in my phone. My thumb was hovering over the call button. What would I say? I sighed and pressed it anyways. It rang only twice before a woman's voice answered. "Hello?" The voice said. I smiled. "Is this Vanesse?" I asked, holding back tears. It was silent for a minute. "Mackenzie?" She asked, her voice shaky. "It's me." I said with a sigh. "Oh my god! It's actually you!" She talked fast, excited. "I was thinking about going to London tomorrow." I said nervously. "Great! That's great! You can meet your brother, Joshua, as well." She said. "That'd be great." I said with a smile. "I will text you the flight details." I added, before she could speak again. "Awesome! Thank you so much for wanting to meet me!" She said happily. I smiled. "Thank you so much for wanting to meet me." I said, choking back tears. "Well, I've got to get going. Goodbye." She said in a quieter voice. "Bye." I said and hung up. I turned around to face Devan and his mom. "How'd it go?" She asked. I shrugged. "I guess in going to London tomorrow." I said and smiled. She stepped forward and hugged me. "Thank you." I whispered in her ear as I squeezed her. "Don't mention it." She said and stepped out of the hug. I smiled. I sure am going to miss them. They were the only family I had, but not anymore. My mom sounded pretty nice, so luckily things will work out with her. And I have a brother. I could never picture me with any other siblings, but now I can. I smiled again as I thought of my new family. Hopefully things will be better with them.

A/N
New fanfiction! Yaaay!