Not Another Tally Mark

Start from the beginning

"Vonvon!" Darius greeted as soon as he saw me walk through the door. I tossed my purse at the stairs.

"Hey!" I bent down and scooped him up. "You gettin' so heavy! What a big boy!" I put him down after giving him a kiss on the cheek. I got down on the floor and crawled over to Davea. She played shy and crawled over behind her daddy's leg. I tickled her lightly and she giggled before attempting to climb up into his lap. He picked her up and held her. It was still weird seeing my brother with kids. I pulled my new phone out of my back pocket and snapped their picture instantly putting it on Facebook. When I did, I noticed I had a few new friend requests. One was from Michael. He still had that stupid profile pic of a stack of money and a pistol. I was afraid to accept it. What if Sean noticed?

"Hey Chivonn." Terrika said and I realized that I had just been rudely standing here on my phone without even greeting her. Again, she wasn't my favorite person, but I was always cordial to her for the kids and Bryan.

"Oh hey, sorry... how is everything?"

"Good. I was just telling Bryan that I'm going to be starting a new job working nights so, if he can get rid of his roommate, he can start having the kids Monday, Wednesday, and Friday nights."

Get rid of his roommate... I chuckled slightly. "Yeah..." I didn't know what to say.

"I kicked Michael out this morning." The way Bryan looked at me, I knew he was lying. Then I knew this whole set up must just be him kissing her ass once again to get to spend some time with his kids. To see them three times a week from here on out would be a dream to him. I knew he was lookin' too friendly.

"Oh I see." I said and on that note I had to walk out of the room before I said something stupid. Though I had already taken five Advil, my head was still pounding so I went upstairs to go lay down. I opened my door and gasped. Michael was sitting on my bed grinning at me. He was wearing that red Che Guevara shirt again with black jeans on. He put a finger against his lips telling me to be quiet. I shut my door behind me.

"Why are you hiding in here? Couldn't you have hid out back? You know you're not allowed in my room when I'm not here." I whispered loudly. I glanced around to make sure everything was in place. Michael just shrugged.

"Terrika's a bitch. I mean, I be thinkin' you can be a bitch sometimes..." I rolled my eyes at this and he winked at me. "But she's on a whoooole 'notha level." He spoke in a low voice just above a whisper.

"Well she's the mother of Bryan's kids and if he wants to be in their lives, unfortunately he has to kiss her ass." I whispered back.

"Bitches be thinkin' they run this world." Michael laid back on my bed... with his shoes on. I slapped at his feet and glared at him. He rolled his eyes and quickly kicked out of his feet. They thumped on the floor loudly. I glared at him again.

"So what now, you gonna hide every time she comes here?" I walked around to the other side of the bed and laid down next to him leaving a good foot of distance between us on my queen sized bed. I picked up the remote and turned on my TV. Michael wasted no time closing the space I had created between us. He wrapped his arm around my shoulders and leaned his head against mine. My heart rate speed up rapidly... This felt so good. Until... he snatched the remote from my hand and began flipping through the channels like he owned this TV.

"Yep." He answered landing on some stand-up comedy skit. How could I be letting myself fall for someone that people don't even want their kids around?! I looked up at him, our faces were so close. He glanced down at me and raised his eyebrow. The look was like him challenging me...'what you gonna do girl?' I could practically hear his voice as if he sent the message telepathically.