5. No Man Is An Island

How could you know what it feels like // To fight the hounds of hell? // You think you know me so well // How could you know what it feels like // To be outside yourself? // You think you know me so well // I Blame Myself, Sky Ferreira

As soon as the words left her mouth, Violet had regretted saying them. She'd never confessed how she truly felt before, not to anyone, and then this girl - this god - comes along with all her immortal charm and Violet just can't stop herself. So all the memories came rushing back, and all the feelings she had tried so hard to suppress flooded to the surface, and her hands were shaking. They wouldn't stop shaking.

It's your own fault. Violet thought to herself. It's your own goddamn fault for taking in a freak that fell out of the sky.

"Ouch." Ash put a hand to her heart. "Why don't you tell me how you really feel?"

Violet frowned. "You heard that? Jesus, Ash, get the hell out of my head already!" She ran a hand through her hair and started to pace back and forth, her thoughts racing and the tremble in her hands spreading throughout her body. It was then that Ash realised that something was wrong. Her first assumption was that the discovery of a god, alongside the pain of recounting what happened to her parents and admitting to her darkest thoughts, was all probably a little overwhelming for her.

"Violet, you're shaking, what's going on?" Ash slid off the counter and made to approach Violet, but Violet backed away. Ash stopped. "Hey, I'm not gonna hurt you, you can trust me." She reassured Violet, attempting to use a tone she assumed was gentle. It wasn't exactly her area of expertise.

"No, no, no. Don't try any of your little mind games, I know what you can do." Violet spoke quickly, her words running together, then scanned the room until her eyes landed on her bag. She needed that bag. "Stay there, and don't even think about using any of your witchy voodoo on me, all right?"

Ash sighed but nodded reluctantly, and stood idly by as Violet sidestepped towards her bag whilst keeping a close eye on Ash at all times. When Violet finally made it to her bag, she rummaged inside it desperately until eventually finding what it was that she was looking for. Ash continued to watch with some curiosity as Violet pulled out a small, cylindrical plastic bottle half full with round white pills and proceeded to swallow one before drinking a long gulp of water straight from the tap. Once done, Violet gripped the kitchen counter with white knuckles and eyes squeezed shut, taking several slow, deep breaths.

"Um..." Ash stood awkwardly to the side of Violet, not quite understanding what had just happened. "Should I be worried?"

Violet opened her eyes and turned to face Ash, feeling slightly embarrassed about her little episode but knowing that it could have been worse. "I'm fine."

"Right. Because what I just saw was the definition of fine." Ash retorted, prompting an eye roll from Violet. "Is this because you were talking about your parents?"

Violet shook her head. "You wouldn't understand. How could you? What I'm going through is a human thing and, from what I can tell, you're about the furthest possible thing from human." She put the pill bottle back into her bag, zipped it up, and raided Blake's fridge for a drink. She'd have loved something stronger than cordial, but unfortunately pills and booze didn't mix.

"Pretty naïve of you to assume that just because I'm not human, I can't understand loss." Ash replied, and for the first time so far, there seemed to be an actual, real emotion in her voice. "You're not the only one that's lost family."

Violet lowered her eyes, ashamed at having jumped to conclusions. "I just assumed that, since you and your species are immortal..."

"Like I said, we can be killed, it just takes a lot." Ash, like Violet, was not used to discussing the private parts of her past, and was incredibly reluctant to do so. She'd rather just forget the whole thing if she could, but Ash knew that even if she lived for an eternity, these were memories that would never fade. "I lost my mother some time ago."