Delicate

Introduction

I sit in the wooden chair in front of my bedroom window. A few twists of vine creep around the outside of the transparent glass. The slow music playing from my stereo is almost inaudible. I gaze at the apple tree occupying my front yard. It has been there for as long as I can remember. Red fruits clutch onto the branches as the wind shakes them. All it takes is one bad storm, or one big gust of wind, and the apples will tumble to the ground. The fragility of the apples inspires me to pout.

I glare at the tree. The tree is outside, and I'm not. I want to go outside sometimes. Mom won't let me go out there alone. But It's not like I mean to hurt myself.

It's not fair.

"Aubrey!," my mother shrieks, making me jump. "You're hurting yourself!"

She clambers over to me, snatching a tissue from the box of tissues on my desk. My mother crouches down in front of me, wiping my lower lip. It is then that I taste the tang of blood. I wrinkle my nose.

"Sorry."

She pulls the blood-spotted tissue away with a frown. "I told you to stop biting your lip. You make it bleed every time."

I shift slightly in the wooden chair. "I'm sorry," I repeat, not sure what to say.

She closes her eyes for a moment and sighs. She opens her mouth to speak, but quickly closes it when my father calls for her. She stands up, and is out of the room in a few moments.

I let my shoulders sag in relief. I touch my fingers to where I accidentally bit myself. Closing my eyes, I try to pretend I'm outside somewhere far away from home. When I open my eyes, I look back out at the apple tree, but this time in wonder.

_____

**Warning: I wrote this when I was like 14 & I never edited any typos or anything cause I never thought so many people would read it. This story really needs some heavy editing done and so many things are wrong with what the characters do that I don't agree with now that I'm an adult. Justin is kinda toxic and this is full of plot holes.. you've been warned. I have no attachment to this story so I probably won't be active on here and I won't be editing it cause I wrote this over 10 years ago....  but I know a lot of my old readers enjoy this book for some reason lol so I'll just let it collect its' dust. I kinda just think of this account as a nostalgic gem of my childhood.. but with a lot of cringe sprinkled in haha

I'm writing again on a new account if anyone is curious. I think a lot of you may really like how my writing has evolved if you wanna check it out @xostardustx