"Why did you gesture towards my crotch? I'm talking about my lifestyle. Unless I get a normal nine-to-five job, move far away from this hellhole – preferably to Puerto Rico where my mother lives – I couldn't bring a child into my world. They'd be in constant danger. Probably shot dead before their fifth birthday."

"Why don't you change?"

"Because no child is worth the money I make." His gaze suddenly turned unfriendly and uncaring and he smiled grimly. "No one is worth the money I make."

I shifted uncomfortably, he went from slightly endearing to cold hearted bastard in a matter of seconds. "You'll soon be forty with no family."

"Family isn't appealing to me in the slightest. All I need to do is look at those closest to me to realise what a disaster it is: James is divorced. So is Art. Irvin's mother was killed, his father's a deadbeat. Daniel's uncle is a kiddy-fiddler, sister's in care. Charlie's kid brother is in jail for meth possession. And you," he laughed jeeringly, "you're a fucking poster child for shitty condom fails and bad parenting."

I thumped him on the chest and his expression became pissed. "Why the hell–"

"Go shove a sparkly pink dild0 up your arse, Cole." I spat and gathered the sheets quickly, intending to wrap myself in them and make my exit before Cole could open his trap once more.

He tugged my arm as I stood and off-balance, I fell back on the bed clumsily. I sat up, about to twist around and break his neck when he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind, kissing the side of my neck and murmuring huskily, "What, no morning sex?"

I tore myself away, leaving the sheets in a puddle at my feet, hissing. "Choke on cheesy dick–"

Cole straightened up and stared at me in amusement. "Why are you so offended? It was a joke–"

I glanced down at his lap. "Your dick is musty and smelly. Do you want me to buy you some Dove soap? You really should clean it."

Irritated, he barked. "You didn't have a problem last night when it was down the back of your throat."

"Why are you so offended? It was a joke." I parroted his words back at him, and smiled cheerily. I twisted the doorknob and walked out in to the hallway and then walked back into the bedroom. "I've decided that you should leave instead of me. After all I live here."

"I pay the rent."

"No one asked you to, baby cakes."

"Sweetheart, you'd be out on the streets if it wasn't for me."

"I'm sure I'd find somewhere else to stay, nut face."

He stopped. "What the fúck is nut face?"

I picked up his crumpled t-shirt and pushed my arms, then head through and looked around for any decent leg-wear. "Ugh. Did we leave our–?"

"In the kitchen." Cole sat up, feet planted on the floor and stretched his arms above his head, twisting his torso to the side and then rubbing the back of his neck. "Make me coffee. I'm going to grab a shower."

"I'm not your wife, go ask someone else."

As he showered, I went down to the kitchen, cleaned up last night's mess, washed the dishes, picked up our clothes and shoes, and then brewed him a cup of coffee. He strolled in through the kitchen doorway, towel tightly wrapped around his waist, wet hair clinging to his forehead. "Thanks, babe," he kissed my cheek, stubble scraping against my skin, hiding his condescending smirk behind his cup.

"Dick," I rolled my eyes, "I'm going to shower. If it's not too hard, make me breakfast. To turn on the stove, you have to flip that switch and then twist the knob. Shouldn't be too hard, honey." I patted his cheek like I would do to a child and he scowled, shoving my hand away.