Chapter 1

I feel the cold of the stethoscope through my shirt. I take a deep breath. The doctor nods his head, and I breath out. I do it again. The doctor continues with checking my blood pressure, reflexes, heart rate, and most importantly my ears. It was just like any other check up.

I glance over at my mom. She has the same bland expression on her face. She has milky white skin, green eyes, and what is usually an ash blonde, is now a dark chestnut. She was beautiful, but that didn't make up for her personality.

My mom decided to get my physical done again, for the fourth and last time. Thank God it is my senior year. I think she actually thought I would play a sport this year. But I can't blame her for trying to make me have some sort of normalcy in my life. Or should I say her life?

I tried to play a sport once in 8th grade. I decided on volleyball. I don't think 8th grade me really thought about the repercussions of that one. I'm not that great at math, but I know lack of athletic ability + sports = many painful injuries. Let's just say there was more than one ball to the face. The worst part wasn't the constant black eyes and bruises, but the fact that they forced me to have an interpreter. It made everyone treat me different, like i couldn't do anything on my own. But maybe they treated me that way because of my lack of skill. That is besides the point, but that is the reason why I don't play sports. I don't think my mom has gotten the memo yet, but what is one more checkup?

The doctor finally finishes whatever doctors write on their mysterious clipboard. He looks up making sure I was aware he was about to speak. I have known this man for years, but man he hasn't gotten used to speaking to me. I think its because he is awkward in general, so I'm not too concerned. With his long gangly body, his greasy brown hair, and the way he always tended to look like he was beside himself. I nod so he knows he can speak. I made sure to watch his lips closely just in case he says any of those fancy doctor words.

"Well Mrs. Johanson, everything seems to be in order. Elliana here, can do any sport if she desired to do so." Dr. Rupert says. "I actually was going to ask you, if you have ever considered getting Elliana a Cochlear implant."

"We hav-" My mom begins to say. but I cut her off.

"Yes, but no. I am perfectly happy with my so called 'disability'" I say. " Why don't you take that implant and shove it up your a-"

"As I was saying, we have, but Elliana is quite happy with her deafness." My mom says, as she shoots me a glare. Wow some sort of emotion, but I believe it is just because she doesn't want me to ruin the perfect family charade she has built. "I am terribly sorry, and so is Elliana. Right Eli?" She glances at me urgingly.

"Totally." I put on to biggest fakest grin, and resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"Eli is just feels so strongly about this." My mother continues, putting on her own fake smile.

"Right." The doctor says trying to stay as neutral faced as possible. "Well, I'll just fax these papers to the school, and I'll have you on your merry way." He grins to make it more believable that he didn't just want to get out of the room as quick as possible. He scurries out finally escaping.

I stand up. Wanting to leave the room as much as Dr. Rupert did. I go to leave, but my mom grabs wrist.

"Eli you pull something like that again I swear." My mom stops herself before things get out of hand. She lets go of my wrist and walks out to deal with the paperwork. She must have forgotten her medication for her to be showing so much emotion. Wow she is making improvements.If you could call them that.

I leave the doctor's office and get into my car, because my mom took another car here. It is nothing fancy, it is just an old VW Beetle. I got it for my 17th birthday. It was a real rust bucket when I got it, you would be surprised what some paint can do. I call my car slugger. I know naming cars is cheesy, but I do it anyway. It also helps me avoid getting in to accidents, because I have become so attached. Slugger is the subtlest of all colors. Yellow. I know really goes with my peppy personality.