Chapter 1.. School

*Marinas POV*

"Look guys, it's that freak!" Snickered the 'popular girls'. You know, the typical 'I'm so much better than you because I wear better clothes and I get a new boyfriend every week' girls. I don't get WHY. We were only 16 years old.

'Just ignore them Mar, they shouldn't bother you' I told myself.

"Hey! Freak! Come here!" Said the ringleader, Jessie. She was as snotty as they got. She had blonde hair, which she added highlights to every month, hazel eyes, and always wore clothes that 'just came out'.

I squeezed my eyes shut, took a deep breath, and turned around to face them.

"What do you want? I don't have time for this. I have to get to history." I looked down at my books for emphasis.

"Lily." Was all Jessie said. Lily looked just as snotty. She had light brown hair with blonde highlights and had blue eyes. Lily walked over to me and knocked the books out of my hands.

"Why?" I asked, annoyed, as I bent to pick up my books. They giggled as I rolled my eyes. Suddenly, I felt my hair getting wet. 'No!' I thought. They had poured water ALL over my hair. I sprang up and ran to the bathroom. Which, luckily, was right next to where we were. I fell over and reached up to lock the door. I scooted back against the wall when I heard the girls walk by, giggling.

"FREAK!" They yelled as they passed the bathrooms. The bell rang and here I was. In the bathroom with a tail. My tail was bright blue like my eyes and my hair was violet with flecks of silver in it so my hair shined under 'the light.

I forced myself to push back the tears that were threatening to spill out. I put my head in my hands and waited. And waited. And waited. I was BEYOND late for history and Mrs. Winters is going to be SO mad.

Perfect. Just perfect. High school was going PERFECTLY. I have no friends, except for my best friend/cousin, Lake, (aunt Rain and uncle Adam's daughter) who was sick and wasn't here TODAY of all days, teachers hate me, I get bullied every day and.. What else? OH YEA! I'm a FREAKING MERMAID. I hate my life. Sure, being a mermaid is cool and all, but look at what happens to me! All because I'm a mermaid. I've been thinking about running away and living in the water but that wouldn't be fair to my mom and dad, who always taught me not to run away from my problems.

After 10 minutes, my tail vanished and I returned to normal. I walked out and looked for the books that I dropped. They were strewn all over the hallway and on the book I was reading, The Hunger Games, there was a note. 'Hey little freak! No one likes you! Why are you still here? Love, Jessie' I grabbed the note, crumpled it, and threw it away. Then I grabbed my books and walked to class. What's the point in showing teachers the note? She's a teachers pet anyways. I just choose to do my work silently and avoid teachers. Or the 'popular girls'.

I push open the door and all talking stops. All eyes on me. Yay.

"Marina! Care to explain why you are late?!" Screeched the wicked witch of the west.

"I was in th-"

"I DONT WANT TO HEAR IT! Go to your seat!" She yelled. I looked down and walked to my seat. I heard Jessie and the gang snickering. I looked away and fixed my eyes on Lake's seat, which was empty. Not having my best friend there filled my with dread.

I wonder how she's doing. I'll see her in a few hours anyways.