Prologue#1

---A Cinderella Story---

The castle is guarded by strong, stone walls lined with vines that swirl and decorate it serenely. I hold my book closely to my chest and peer in it just to make sure I got the image right. I burnt the image of a rose as white as snow in my mind, I need to get this, for my little sister!

I tuck it in by bag I kept on my side and look up and down the walls for any openings, cracks, or ways to find my way up the walls. I notice a rabbit hopping by, carrot half dug into its mouth. It burrows its way into a hole covered by the vines, no wonder I couldn't find it. I crouch down and crawl into the tiny opening, not knowing that someone is guarding that area.

A man donned in armor from head to toe looks at me with a curious glance. "I don't recall anyone invited to try and sneak their way here from a rabbit hole," he unsheathes his sword, "so, what business do you have here, dear lady?"'

I stutter, "I-I, uh, need to find something, something that can only be found here!" I clutch the ends of my skirt for comfort as cold sweat beaded my forehead, unsure of my fate. After all, castle intruders were to be killed, labeled as (enemy place)'s spies.

Silence weighed between us, but the man opens his most to speak, "Very well then, I trust when you find that something, you will leave immediately, correct?"

I nod hastily, done with this scary encounter, but he still had more to say, "Miss, what is your name?"

"Um, (Y/n). (Y/n) (L/n)."

He smiles before disappearing into a castle corridor. Oh! I forgot to ask for his name!! No matter, I'll probably not see him again. I resume my search for the flower as I sneak around to find the Royal Courtyard. I pass through an open forum, applause littering the air. I look from behind a tree, I turn to leave, but a voice cut sharply through the audience, curious overtook me and I had to look.

"Tonight, we hold our selection for the princess ceremony, since the King has not left an heir, the King himself invites all maidens from (place) to pick from and become the princess. The princess can come from nobility and pheasants. Please make sure to dress yourselves to the fitting attire and swear fealty to the new princess, understand?"

The nobility bicker amongst themselves but agreed to do so. They continue their gathering, a table full of sweets and desserts catches my sight, mouth watering with saliva, but I return to my task. I mustn't get tempted.

After I walked through endless mazes of hallways, I find the courtyard. I jump through the open window and land safely on the ground. I run to the flowers and begin to search swiftly through the flowerbeds. Night fell as I search through the flowers, but diligently do I work. Finally, I find the Snow White rose on the edge, hidden from sight. Hastily, I pick it up but to fast, I had pricked myself on one of its thorns.

"Ow," I wince but I am unaware of the figure behind me.

He grabs my wrist and lifts me up, holding my finger, he studies it close, "Oh dear, you've got to be careful with roses, here let me help you."

I protest, "I-it's okay, really!! It's just a prick, nothing big."

He gives me a silk handkerchief, he smiles softly, "Make sure to wipe it cleanly and wash it so it doesn't get infected, okay my dear?"

I nod, "But what about this handkerchief, I'd certainly dirty it!!"

He laughs, waving goodbye, "Be careful now, the castle isn't such a good place to be!"

I look dumbly at his back as he left me all alone to ponder on his comment. I take the handkerchief and dab it lightly on the cut, putting it aside, I carefully put the rose into my bag.

My memory is hazy, I don't remember which hallways I've past, but I really wished I remembered, or else none of it would've happened.

I stumble into a room full of neatly dressed people, I spot a few commoner friends of mine, "Mary!!"

I wave, catching her attention, she smiles, "(Y/n)!! I didn't expect you'd make it! Look! I've been working on this dress since last year, isn't it beautiful?"

I study her dress, layers of white lace decorated by blue ribbons matches her blonde hair and blue eyes. I could feel myself wish I had a dress, mine is hardly any sufficient for such an important occasion.

"The only reason I came here for is the rose and the food," I say, eyeing the food greedily. Mary laughs, "You'll do fine, you have a big enough stomach to fill all that in!"

After the food, the King judges the maidens according to his will. On the first look, many of the women failed, Mary was heartbroken when he had said no. Then it was my turn.

"Look at me, dear."

I look at him fiercely, with respect.

He smiles, obviously delighted by my defiant look. What he said threw me off guard, my insides screamed out for someone to save me, but there was no denying it.

He had chosen me to be the princess.