Patience

Toni
It's been one month and Kenny and I have became close. I'm still with Jake rude, ignorant ass. I need to leave him but he's not always an asshole. Actually these last couple weeks he hasn't been in town. That might be why everything has been going to great. Sadly, Jake was coming home today.

"Toni we need to talk" said Jake. "Talk about what" I said with an attitude. "Please don't make me come over there and knock some sense into you. When are we going to start having kids". "Jake I don't know I'm not ready for that yet" I said looking down playing with my fingers. "Look you promised me you were going to have my baby so your going to do it"! " And you promised me you would never hit or hurt me but you do it all the time"! As soon as I said that I regretted it. I took off running up the stairs and Jake was right behind me. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please Jake I didn't mean it" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "See Toni if you would shut the fuck up sometimes I promise you wouldn't have any problems. But you just continue to make things difficult for yourself"! Jake screamed at me then slapped me 3 times before leaving me on the steps.

I sat on the steps crying my eyes out. Jake walked up the stairs past me and said nothing. The next thing I knew Jake was carrying his luggage. "I have another business trip that I have to leave for. I'll be back on Thursday. Go clean yourself up and when I get back we're going to make a baby". And like that the devil was gone.

Knock Knock! "Toni are you in there, open up its me Kenny" Kenny yelled and banged on the door. "Ken I can't right now I'm a mess I don't want you to see me like this" I slide down the door crying. "Toni please open the door" Kenny said calmly.

I opened the door and Kenny immediately grabbed me and kissed my forehead. "Look I don't know the situation, but no man should ever put his hand on a woman" Ken said softly in my ear. We stood there and he just held me in his arms not saying anything. I wrapped my hand around his waist and he began to rub his hand up and down my back.

"Let me get you an ice pack and some aspirin I'll be right back" Kenny smiled at me and rubbed my cheek. Kenny sat down beside me and just stared at me. "Why are you looking at me like that" I asked rudely. " You are so short and feisty. I know you don't want to talk right now but how did you guys meet" Ken said with a confused look on his face.

7 Years Ago
"Well don't you look lovely today Ms. Toni The Braxton. When are you going to let me take you out sometimes" Jake said smiling. "You know my mother and father wouldn't allow that to happen so I think you should stop now" I said walking off. "I'm not going to give up you're too special and amazing for me to let you pass me by" Jake said looking me up and down. The next thing I knew Jake was sitting in my living room laughing with my father.

"So he lied to your family about who he really was, that's fucked up. Look you're too strong and intelligent to put up with this bullshit" Ken said pacing the floor. "Kenny calm down. I have no where to go or any money. He said he didn't want me to work because his job was to take care of me. But I found out that was because he didn't want me to have my own. I have my masters but he won't allow me to use them" I said lowering my head. 

" Let you? Well if you ever need money to get away from this hell hole I got you. I'll go refresh that ice pack for you then lets order some chinese food" Kenny said grinning.

5 months later Ken and I are still friends but things are starting to change. 2 days ago he told me that he wanted me and I admitted that I wanted him too. I've practically been avoiding him because I don't want to involve him in my mess. Jake hasn't changed but his interest has. I was able to change his mind about having a baby. I talked him out of it by telling him he can have a boat and motorcycle. 2 things that having a baby would put a pause on, so he left me alone.

"Ken what are you doing here! Jake is upstairs taking a shower! You have to get out of here. He's leaving in a hour I'll come over then" I whispered.  "Ok beautiful I'll be waiting" Ken said as he walked off whistling. I blushed and closed the door and sprinted to the couch as I heard Jake coming down the stairs.

"Who the fuck was that at the door". Jake yelled. "Chinese delivery man at the wrong house" I said still looking at tv. "Oh well I'm out of here"Jake said walking past me with his luggage.