1 - the city that never sleeps

Começar do início

"16," I answer softly, shifting in my seat a little.

"I'd appreciate it if you addressed me as sir after answering any of my questions, Ms. Caldwell," he says, eyes shining mischievously. "For professional purposes, of course."

I stop myself from letting my face contort in disgust at the request. I've never been one to willingly bow to authority, but I need this job.

"Yes, sir," I answer as politely as I can muster.

His smirk grows wider and he looks quite proud of himself, getting the words to leave my mouth so easily. He shuffles through some of my papers some more, and peers up at me over them.

"Your first name is Harper?"

"Yes, sir."

"And you're interviewing for a staff position, is that correct?"

"Yes, sir."

"Which one?"

"Maid service."

I forget to add sir at the end but he doesn't seem to notice. His eyebrows raise and his eyes noticeably trail over the parts of my body not shielded by the desk between us.

"Okay, then. Let's get down to business and see how you look in the uniform."

My mouth falls open and I struggle to find the words to say--words that won't cost me this job--but someone finds them for me.

"That's enough, Holden," a man's voice booms strongly from behind me in the doorway, catching both of our attention. He walks in and I observe him, from the stern look he gives Holden, to his neat suit, clenched jaw, and uncanny resemblance to the boy still sitting at the desk.

"Father!" Holden clasps his hands together loudly. He stands and smiles in amusement, not appearing to care for his actions or the fact that his father has witnessed them. "I thought you were in a meeting?"

"It ended," the man answers crassly. "Obviously I can't leave you in charge for more than 20 minutes at a time without being met with disappointment."

Ouch.

He turns to me, his look softening. "I apologize for my son's behavior. He never seems to stop embarrassing me."

From a quick glance I can see Holden's jaw clenching, and I start to feel bad for him, even though he's disrespected me.

"You got the job," Mr. Fraiser says, as he examines some of the papers handed to him by his son.

I gasp slightly, eyes widening. That was faster and much easier than I expected. He probably just wants to get rid of me, having more important things to do, but I couldn't care less.

I got it!

"I'll have someone email you about your schedule and you'll start Tuesday."

I grin widely and step up to shake his hand. "Thank you so much, really. Have a nice day, both of you." Mr. Fraiser nods with a small smile, while Holden just eyes me down intensely, an angry look still in his eyes.