Prologue

Aphmau still remembered the day she fled the Nether with the Chicken Shaman. Memories of the hellish realm never left her mind. Of course, how could she forget the most important detail? Laurance.

He was the reason Aphmau was here in Phoenix Drop today. He sacrificed himself so that she and the Chicken Shaman could leave the Nether safely.

Aphmau hadn't heard from him ever since.

Sometimes, Aphmau wondered if things would've been different if she was the one who stayed behind in the Nether. Would Laurance have been able to live with himself with her decision? Honestly, she didn't think so.

She often thought it was her fault that he was still trapped in the Nether, or worse, he was dead.

Aphmau shook those thoughts away. Today, she was going to spend time with Garroth. This might've been the last time she was able to speak with him, after all. She had a tiny flicker of hope it wouldn't be, but the rest of her already accepted the harsh truth.

Aphmau sighed. She looked at the mirror one last time, repositioning the flower crown Garroth had given her long ago. Finally, she left her house atop the hill, and went to the docks to bid her head guard farewell.

As she reached the docks, a giant ship loomed over it. Most of the travellers were already aboard, but only a few people were still waiting at the docks--Zane, his two personal guards and Garroth.

She decided that the best manners would be to greet the high priest first. She approached Zane, and curtly nodded. "Zane."

"You don't need to worry about your head guard, here, Lord Aphmau," he replied. "He'll be in very good hands. With a good wife," he added, smiling maliciously.

Aphmau wanted to slap that smile off his face badly, but she knew she couldn't do anything about it. "I'm sure he will be," she spat venomously. His sky-like eyes glinted evilly.

Aphmau looked away from him before her urges took over, causing her to attack Zane and doom all of Phoenix Drop. Instead, she walked over to Garroth, and spoke to him.

"Lord Aphmau," he greeted, a tinge of sadness in his voice.

"How are you feeling, Garroth?" asked Aphmau softly.

He sighed, looking down at his feet. "I am so sorry for this. I never meant for any of this to happen. I never wanted to leave Phoenix Drop and get married to this stranger, the princess of Scaleswind, but..."

"It's not your fault," she comforted. "I just wish we had more time to figure something out."

"So did I." Garroth sighed, and returned his gaze to Aphmau. "I wish we could've..." He mumbled something under his breath. I wish we could've been something more.

"Garroth," started Aphmau, her voice slightly shaky, as if she was about to cry, but she held back her tears. She couldn't seem weak, especially not in front of Zane. "Garroth, this isn't the end. We'll figure something out, somehow. I know we will."

"I'm afraid we don't have any more time to waste in your village, Lord Aphmau," interrupted Zane. "It is high time that we should be leaving," he added, glaring daggers at his older brother, who did the same to him. "You know, we really wouldn't be needing these sad goodbyes if you took my hand in marriage and moved to O'khasis as well, Lord Aphmau."

Garroth flared his nostrils at him, before turning to Aphmau one last time. "Aphmau, I..." He gulped. He couldn't bring himself to say three simple words to the most beautiful woman in the world, and he knew this was his last chance to say it. Yet, he was about to force himself to live with the regret of never saying it. "Goodbye, Aphmau."

"Take care, Garroth," she replied, teary-eyed.

Two O'khasis guards escorted him and Zane to the ship, and eventually, they set sail. Aphmau wistfully watched the ship until it disappeared into the horizon.

Once she was completely alone with her thoughts, she sat down at the docks. Both of her best friends were taken away from her in the span of only a few weeks. How cruel was the world? Garroth and Laurance came into her dim life and brightened it up with a spark, only to leave and slowly let the flame die out.

She hadn't felt this alone since forever, and it was not a warm feeling at all. She absolutely hated it. Unfortunately, there was nothing she could do about it. She was completely alone.

On that note, Aphmau began to silently cry.

~•~

A/N: Yay, new MCD fan-fiction! I've had this idea for a while, and now it's finally in motion! There'll be Garmau and Laurmau, since I honestly ship both. Although the prologue had more Garmau than Laurmau, I can assure you, there will be plentiful of both. We're only getting started!

Until then.