Chapter Three

"I want to be a nun." Declared Sarah.

Her father sauntered out of his wine bar, holding a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a burning cigar between the fingers of his other hand. "Another ploy you brought from Chicago to rattle my chains, uh?" He casually asked, putting the cigar between his lips for a pull.

"This is not a joke, dad." She said grimly. "I really want to be a nun."

She knew her father would find it very difficult to believe her so she wasn't too surprised when the old stout man threw his head backwards and barked a laughter. "You are just like your mother, always joking!" he said with a lingering smile on his face as he uncorked the bottle of whiskey and poured himself some into a glass cup.

Sarah suddenly seemed annoyed, she got up and walked towards him slowly. "I. Am. Not. Kidding!" She emphatically stated each word solemnly.

Sensing the seriousness of her tone now, her father gave her an intense stare then said more to himself. "You can't be serious." He turned and started walking towards his built-in office in the mansion.

She followed suit, not willing to easily give up. Her mind was made up now and there was no turning back. "Dad, I really need to do this!"

"You are talking nonsense, child!" He said sternly over his shoulder, still walking. "You are getting married in four months, remember?"

"I broke up with Fred!" She practically cried out.

Her father halted now and turned sideways to regard his daughter for a moment. "Did the little cretin hurt you?" His eyes were literally blazing brimstones. "Tell me and I'll snuff the very life out of him."

She frowned at her father. He had always had an insulting name for whomever she dated. He had called her previous boyfriend a whelp. "No." She looked away, immediately avoiding eye contact. Her father had grown to read her emotions through her eyes ever since her mother died and her demise had made their bon stronger. "I just want that serenity I've always sought after. I want to live in the Convent."

Her father shook his head in strong disagreement. "Are you out of your mind? Do you know what women do in the convent? They practically sell off their freedom and cease to exist! It's like a prison in there and you are not saying another word about it!" He resolutely stated. "I won't be alive and watch you waste the rest of your life away in some damn convent!"

"I'm fully aware of what I'm about getting into, dad, I only came here to get your approval." She replied.

He turned and stalked into his office, swallowed his drink in a single gulp then slammed the thick glass down on his mahogany desk. "I'm not giving it! I will not watch my only child make such a terrible mistake of her life! You are going to give up on..." He wildly gestured around in the air with his hands. "...all these and go live in the convent like a nobody?!"

Sarah sighed sadly, understanding her father's plight but she knew there was nothing he could say that would change her mind. "You don't have to worry about a thing, father, I have done my research..." She folded her arms across her chest now as she completed: "The church will cater for all my needs and I won't have to bother you about anything."

"Not on my watch!" He suddenly slammed the desk with his palm, making Sarah flinch in surprise and fear at his sudden outburst. "Not when I still live! You were never a religious person in the first place, so where the hell are all these frivolous ideas coming from anyway?!" He glared at her.

"...from me..." She barely whispered, dreading another outburst.

"And let me guess, your friend is coming along and you want me to foot her bills too? She has become your shadow for years."