Rainbow Veins (13)

"Leaf... You.. need to get to St. James... Now." Cried Harry's mother over the phone. It was well past midnight and Leaf had fallen into a light sleep, she hadn't heard any news about Harry and decided this must be a good thing, after all no news is good news. Oh, how wrong she was.

"What? Why?" Leaf groggily replied.

"I don't have time to explain, but Harry is in a bad state. You need to get here now."

"'Kay. Bye." Leaf hung up before Harry's mum even had time to reply. Her heart was beating faster than it should of been. Her breath was coming in a sharp, ragged rhythm. Leaf could feel her eyes swelling with salty tears that she knew would spill soon. She couldn't stop herself imagining the worst for Harry. Stumbling through the overwhelming darkness Leaf made her way to her parents room.

"Mum. Mum. Wake up." Leaf shook her mum, the tears now racing down her cheeks.

"Mmm, Leaf, what's wrong?"

"It's Harry. He's in hospital." Leaf's voice shook at she spoke the words that had been haunting her for the last five minutes.

"Oh my god. I'll meet you in the car in five." She instantly shuffled up in her bed and rubbed her eyes. Leaf didn't need telling twice, she jogged out of the room and pulled on whatever clothes she could find, pulled a brush through her hair and with her school bag clutched to her chest, she ran to the car. Leaf's mum and dad climbed in a couple of minutes later, everyone looked tired and worried, but Leaf's parents were attempting to stay strong for Leaf.

It was boiling in the car, too hot for Leaf to think straight, she kept thinking she was going to be to late, imagining the worst like always. She wound down her window in an attempt to cool herself down, the fresh morning air blew in Leaf's face, dancing through her thick brown hair. She closed her turquoise eyes and leaned her head back against her seat, the breeze was making her feel better already.

"I love you." Those three words rang through her head, she opened her eyes at once, it sounded as if Harry was right next her, but of course he wasn't, he was laying in some pristine hospital bed. Whether Leaf had imagined the words or not, it gave her hope that Harry was going to be okay, that she would see those beautiful hazel eyes of his again.

* * *

"Room 315, he is weak and sleeping so be careful okay." The reception lady told Leaf. After wondering down the winding corridors of St. James hospital, Leaf finally found Harry's room. She took a deep breath before entering, preparing herself for what would come next. Harry lay motionless in his hospital bed, the rhythmic beeping of the monitor next to him was the only sign that he was alive.

"Oh Harry." Leaf whispered, her heart crumbling at the sight of him. Even in his broken state he still looked like a angel. His skin was pale White and his arms were covered in deep purple bruises, needles and wires entered and left his body in various places. Tears fell from Leaf's eyes as she knelt next to him and took his hand in hers.

"I love you Harry." Leaf swore she felt his hands tighten around hers for a spilt second, but she may have just imagined it, giving herself false hope. False hope or not Leaf silently wished and prayed to whatever saint, God or saviour was listening that Harry would make it through this and that he had just squeezed Leaf's hand and knew she was there for him. Always. 

* * *

"Visiting hours are over." Called one of the nurses to Leaf.

"Okay, thanks." Leaf weakly smiled in her direction. She added the final touches to her latest piece of armwork before packing her things away. Leaf couldn't stand looking at the cuts and bruises that had formed on Harry's arms from the fight and multiple injections he had suffered through, so as a way of covering them with her own personal mark, she had drawn various things on his arms. Love hearts with his basketball player number, princes and princesses, chains of mythical creatures and tiny sparkling stars covered both his arms, protecting and shielding Harry from any further harm.

"I gotta go now Harry. I'll be back to see you tomorrow, stay strong gorgeous." She placed her hands in his one last time. "I love you till kingdom come." She whispered and kissed him lightly on the cheek. He definitely squeezed her hand this time, no doubt about it. Leaf left the hospital with a smile on her first, the first proper smile since she heard the fateful news that morning. Why? She knew she would see Harry's beautiful hazel eyes and his stunning smile, hear his angelic voice and feel his strong arms around her again. And that made her happier than anything else in the world ever could.