•8•

Pete spent most of his time sitting on the filthy floor against the wall beside the vent, listening as the only sounds he sometimes heard was Patrick shuffling around. They're on their third day, Pete hasn't slept which isn't much of a surprise considering he hardly slept in his normal bunk in the dorm. And Patrick didn't want to be alone nor let Pete feel alone, so he willingly slept curled up beside the vent so Pete knew he was always there. It, of course, wasn't very comfortable but he did it for Pete. He didn't want to leave his side.

Everything was silent, nothing but the sound of Patrick's body scuffing against the cold cement floor and Pete's occasional sighing. It was a comfortable silence because they knew that the other was there with them and they felt less isolated, despite literally being in isolation.

Pete has been put in the box on several occasions, once for starting a food fight that ended with three inmates having bloody noses and bruised faces (Pete was one of them). Another time was when he called one of the guards an asshole, and not to mention that one time he was caught kicking a bookcase over onto another boy, someone named Mikey or something. Pete had his reasons. Every time he was put in the small, cold room he would be alone with nothing but his mind numbing thoughts and a roach he named Abraham, which he accidentally stepped on not three minutes later.

This time was different though, he didn't feel so alone and knew that someone would respond to him if he were to speak, that there was a voice other than his own there to talk to him. He began to hum a tune he remembered someone singing to him when he was six, maybe his mother, but probably not. He didn't know the name of it but it soothed his cluttered mind to the point where he only thought about the music. The song itself was nothing like a lullaby or anything of the sort but there was something about it that he loved.

"Hey, I know that song." He heard Patrick's voice echo through the vent and he immediately stopped humming. Pete peeked through the vent and only saw part of Patrick's bright orange shoulder.

"Yeah? Mind telling me what it is? It's been stuck in my head forever." Pete spoke back. He heard scuffing and saw some movement before Patrick was staring right back at him.

"I could be wrong but it sounds like MakeDamnSure by Taking Back Sunday. Hum the chorus again."

Pete begins to hum the chorus of the song for a few seconds before recognition flashes across Patrick's features and he begins to sing the words along with Pete's humming, matching up the sounds.

"Yeah, that's definitely it." Patrick smiles once Pete gets to the end of the chorus. "I love that song."

"Me, too. It sounds better when you sing it though. My voice is shit."

"No it's not," Patrick promises. "I like your voice."

Pete's face breaks out into a wide smile, gazing at Patrick through the insides of the dusty vent and smiling impossibly wider when he sees the other boy reciprocate it.

Before Pete could even think of saying another word, the loud wailing of an alarm blares throughout the entire isolation wing of the facility. Then an equally loud buzzing noise goes off and every door on every cell slides open, allowing the boys to just walk out whenever they felt like it. Bob is the first one to take advantage of the moment and immediately leaves his cell, disappearing through the entrance of the cell block.

Pete glances at the open door of his cell with his hands over his ears to block out the sound of the alarm, confused as to why these things were suddenly happening. He looks back through the vent to see how Patrick was reacting to this but sees nothing but a dirty floor and part of the wall on the opposite side. Then there's that familiar scuffing he's become accustomed to over the past few days, looking back to the door and finding his bunkmate standing in the entryway with a look of relief, confusion, and happiness on his face.

Pete immediately gets to his feet and rushes over to where Patrick is standing, wrapping his arms around his shoulders and pressing his lips to Patrick's, giving him a hard, rushed kiss. Patrick doesn't hesitate to return the affection.

"What's happening?" Pete asks, barely breaking their lips apart.

Patrick shrugs slightly. "I don't know, but I'm glad it's happening." Then he leans forward and connects their lips again, both boys smiling against each other.

"Glad you guys are reunited and all that but, uh," The two instantly break apart and face the voice of none other than Joe who was standing awkwardly in the hallway, scratching at the back of his neck. "We gotta go."

"Why, what's going on?" Pete asks the curly haired boy, right when Andy comes up beside him.

"We're getting our asses out of here!" He says, tugging on the sleeve of Joe's jumpsuit, ready to take off. "We have to go. Now."

"I'll explain later, let's go!" Joe responds then takes off with Andy. Pete and Patrick glance at each other for only a moment before Patrick grabs the other boy's hand and takes off after the other two inmates, quickly catching up as they cut the corner and exit the now empty cell block.

The four of them run through the questioningly empty halls until they come upon the laundry room, where they duck inside to catch their breath and also hide from any guards that may be nearby.

"What... is going on... Joe?" Patrick speaks between breaths as he braces his hands on his knees to suck in as much air as possible. It's a few moments before Joe finally has enough oxygen in his lungs to respond.

"Me, Andy, and two other guys came up with an escape plan." He says casually, like it's no big deal.

"Escape plan?!" Both Pete and Patrick shout in astonishment before Joe and Andy hurriedly shush them.

"Yes, escape plan." Joe continues. "That annoying wailing thing that's going off is the Riot Alarm. It's only gone off twice ever since like, '92 or something. We're supposed to meet the others here in about ten seconds after all the guards in the whole joint are in the lunchroom trying to get everything under control. Just follow our lead and we'll be out in no time." The second Joe is done with his explanation, a boy with a bright blue mohawk runs into the room, also panting for breath.

"Hey guys," He greets, lightly tugging at the hem of his jumpsuit top with one hand and sending everyone a small wave with the other. Then he quickly glances around the room, obviously looking for someone who hasn't shown up yet. "Where's Tyler?"

Andy speaks up. "He should be here s-"

"I'm here! I'm here guys!" Another boy rushes in, panting slightly, smiling when he sees his bright haired friend. "Jishwa!"

"Ty!" The two walk up to each other, everyone assuming they are going to hug or something, but instead they do an elaborate handshake that takes about seven seconds for them to accomplish. They smile at each other afterwards then turn to face the rest of the boys. Tyler, apparently, and 'Jishwa' have an expectant look on their faces while everyone else silently question them.

"So," 'Jishwa' starts, clapping his hands once then rubbing his palms together, rocking back on his heels and smiling crookedly. "You guys ready or what?"