Chapter 4

"Where are the drinks?" Aimee whispers harshly into my ear the next morning. 

We were currently in the sound proof conference room and waiting for the clock to strike 10:00. I was given no information what so ever, so I have no clue as to why this meeting was called, but I have found that it's best just to go with the flow in this line of work.

"They will be delivered exactly at 10," I whisper back to her, clutching my clipboard to my chest.

I stand in the corner of the room and admire the large table in the center of the room. Lining it's perimeter sat multiple special black chairs, designed for comfort when sat in, very stylish, and highly professional roller chairs. According to Camille, they are from Germany and cost a fortune to obtain.

At the end of the rectangular table was a giant screen used for connecting and attending conference calls with people who weren't in the city of London.

I noticed something odd though, every seat was taken up except for one on the corner. Mr. Malik usually sits in front of the TV screen (at the end of the table), but when he does there is a chair there, if he is standing, like today, there isn't a chair.  You would think Aimee would get a chair for herself, but in reality she just hangs out in the corners, taking note of everything being said and making sure everything goes as planned. She really devotes her entire life to this company.

"Aimee," I ask softly, "Why is that chair next to Mr. Malik empty? Are we expecting anyone else--"

"Not right now, Mia," Aimee snaps, right as the boss walks in. For a minute I actually feel bad for Aimee, seeing as her boss didn't even so much as give her a welcoming glance. "Mia," she whispers, turning to me, her blue/grey eyes piercing into my own, "Anything heard in this meeting, stays in this room? Okay? You're just here to make help me make sure everything runs smoothly and take care of the files and just help me when I need you. Don't ask any questions, do not speak out of turn, in fact just make sure no one realizes that your here. Try to tune out everything but me, and if you can't... Try to forget, do you understand me?" Aimee hisses, making my mind start spinning with confusion. 

Before I can even reply she is walking across the room towards Mr. Malik, and I watch her engage in a quiet conversation. His dark eyes glance towards my direction startling me a bit, and then pretty soon Aimee's own steel colored eyes look my way as well... Why couldn't I shake the feeling they were both talking about me?

Aimee then scampers off to the side as Mr. Malik starts the meeting, using big words and lots of hand gestures. Thankfully the drinks arrived right at the starting time, which no doubt wiped a load off of Aimee. I'll have to be sure to thank them later. 

Although, despite Aimee's odd warning I couldn't help but listen in. 

"Good morning everyone, I am so pleased to see that you all could make it. Usually I would continue on a little bit, about how  my day was going, and ask you how your day was going, before getting to business, however! I am not going to do that today. Can anyone tell me why?" he asks, looking around the room.

Nobody answered.

"MAX!" Mr. Malik screams pointing at him. "Max" was the man in the blue polka dot die, sitting farthest away from Mr. Malik. "I bet you know."

The mans sudden tension of his muscles stood out to me immediately. 

"Because you want to talk about how our stock crashed last week," Max mutters shakily under his breath.

"Because our stock crashed last week!" repeats Malik, only 10 times louder. "Exactly! Now, can someone tell me why it crashed?" he yells, making me extremely nervous at his harsh tone.