Chapter 1

Bellamy:

"Pull it big brother." Octavia's big brown eyes twinkle even in the dark and I can't help but grin. I turn to look at the only thing standing in the way of us and abundant fresh air, the lever to the drop ship door. I'm hesitant at first, all of the pros and cons running through my head, but death could be worse case senecio in either endings. Would I rather die in a tight drops ship with 100 people, or seeing green and real water for the first time?  I pull the lever.

   Instantly, light and a breeze flood the room, drawing gasps from our lips. My heart beats fast; what if it isn't like the stories and all that is left is ruble and bones? I close my eyes until I hear the shrills and cheers of everyone around me. Earth is survivable.

   When I open my eyes, I have to catch myself from falling. The air, the trees, the smell of fresh soil, the mountains...all of it is more beautiful than I ever imagined. If only mom could be here. I tell myself.

   "Come on!" Squeaks Octavia. She grabs my hand and pulls me down the ramp and onto the surprisingly squishy ground. Without warning, she runs into the woods with the rest of the teenagers, leaving me behind. They are all happy, smiles spread across there faces and laughter fills the air. I should be happy too. After all, we will be in the history books of our great grandchildren and we will be acknowledged as kings in the near future, but I don't feel that perky feeling in my heart.

   Maybe it's because there is no law, no food, no shelter...or maybe it's because of the awful thing that I had to do in order to get on the ship. Maybe it's fear of what will come when the people of the Ark discover who shot Jaha.

   "Hello? Ya in there?" I snap around to see a kid with a black hoodie and a log nose, making dumb faces at me.

   "I'm sorry what?" I ask, and instantly regret it. I should have sounded more demanding. No one is going to chose a leader with a kiddish attitude.

   "I said, what's next? You obviously look like you know what's going on. So, what's next?" Before I know it, several other people have started to crowd around us. They are only kids after all, it's there instinct to coward and look for someone in authority. I find a tree stump and to stand upon.

   "Listen, I know right now it's all fun and games right now." More people walk slowly over, including Octavia. "But it'll soon be dark, and we have no food or water...non the less weapons. So-"

   "So what do you suggest?" A girl with dark hair interrupts.

  "What I suggest," I continue giving her a glare. She stares at the ground. ", is that we divide into groups." I jump down from my perch and begin to place people into four main clusters: food, water, weapons and shelter. They all cooperate, and it makes me feel powerful.

   I assigned myself into, my personal favorite, the weapons group along with Octavia, the kid with the long nose and some guy name Finn. They are the ones who seem stronger then the rest of the teenagers. More mature to hold a gun too.

   "Where are we going to look for weapons? It's not like there's gonna be a store in the middle of the wilderness." Finn says as he smirks. I catch him and Octavia exchange smirks. A wildfire seems to rile up inside of me and I want to just rip the kid's head off his body.

   "One hundred year can grow a first in the middle of a city you idiot." I reply. Comebacks is something I'm going to have to work on if I want to seem in charge. The group nod their head and chuckle. Of course it is true; we could be standing in a city called Washington DC for all we know.
----------
It seems like it's been decades since we have scouted the endless nature. If I see another tree, I already think I'm going to be sick.

   "Hey big guy, we aren't getting anywhere and it's going to be dark soon. Maybe we should head back." The kids with the long nose suggests.

  "No. We need something to defend ourselves over the night." I slide my hair back with my hands, trying to think of a solution. "Let's search a little further in groups of two."

   "I'll go with hottie over here!" Finn practically screams referring to Octavia. The fact that my sister giggles and gives him a little shove makes my stomach churn.

   "Absolutely not!" I'm furious now. All are quiet now. I hope that the dark hides the fiery redness of my angry face, but there is awe written all over their faces.

   "I was just joking, Bellamy. Chill out man." Finn says. I roll my eyes.

   "I'll be right back." I turn and just walk away. I don't really know where I'm going away, but I need time alone.

   My walk turns into a sprint and my sprint into a full out run. I push away any vines or branches out of the way and let my lungs become heavy. Pretty soon, I'm on the ground panting like a dog. Beads of sweat form on my forehead and I lean against a tree.

It's quiet. Too quiet. All I can hear is my heavy breathing.

   A snap of a twig jerks me upright and on my feet. It could be one of the groups, or an animal or a-

   "Who are you?" I can make out a dark figure in the woods. The voice is strong, but it's also feminine.

   "My name-my name is Bellamy Blake." I'm still out of breath and I swallow hard. I sound like such a coward. "Who are you?" This time I sound stronger. The figure still doesn't move, though.

   "My name is Clake Griffen, leader of the grounders."