Chapter 3

Let Me Live!

Chapter 3

I expected Peggy to stop returning but she kept on coming back. This became a routine. Every two days, Peggy would return with a new message. I would read it, do some research about the birds, and put the new message with the others. In the end I got a total of ten letters. Before those messages, I didn’t even know that those species of birds even existed! I did not know about birds as much as I knew about dogs but the more I researched about those birds (which were all in my area) the more I got interested in them.

The other seven messages read as follows.

Message number four:

I am a small grey and brown bird.
My home is in the Western Mediterranean, the Eastern Mediterranean, and Western and Southern Asia.
More than fifty percent of my suitable habitat was destroyed during the twentieth century.
Please protect my habitat and please stop hunting my species.
I am a bird and this is my home too!
Let me live!

~Marbled Teal

Message number five:

I am a large, dark brown and white bird.
I breed in Austria, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Turkey and Ukraine.
I also live in the Middle East, East Africa South to Tanzania, the Arabian Peninsula, the Indian subcontinent and South and East Asia in winter.
My suitable habitat is in the lowlands.
My habitat is threatened because of intensive forestry in the mountains and shortage of large trees in the lowlands.
Please stop nest robbing, shooting, and poisoning.
I am a bird and this is my home too!
Let me live!

~Eastern Imperial Eagle

Message number six:

I am a medium-sized dark brown bird.
I breed in Estonia, Poland, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, mainland China, Mongolia, Pakistan, and India.
In winter, I live in Central and Eastern Europe, North and East Africa, the Middle East, the Arabian Peninsula, the Indian Subcontinent and South, South-East Asia, and Hong Kong (China).
My suitable habitat is in the lowlands.
My habitat is threatened by afforestation and wetland drainage.
Please stop illegal shooting and poisoning.
I am a bird and this is my home too!
Let me live!

~Greater Spotted Eagle

Message number seven: