Fifty Percent Strength

Ally walked home alone. She had to, though she desperately wanted to stay with Austin, because she knew he wasn't perfectly fine. She kicked pebbles along the way, wind blowing her dress around her. Her dress wasn't black, she refused to wear black. Black was for any old funeral. She wore light blue instead, Austin had told that it had been Rebecka's favorite color.

And then Ally remembered what Trish had told her the day before. She'd been so caught up in this funeral, she had forgotten to worry.

She hadn't spoken to Trish, or Dez, since then, she was upset with them, though she knew they had attended the funeral.Which wasn't usually how she dealt with things, but lately, Ally had been different. Something about her had changed.

She also hadn't been at school all week. She had the suspicion that her dad knew this, but wasn't saying anything. He understood, Ally guessed. He knew what it was like to lose someone.

Ally didn't realize she was crying at first. But she soon was sobbing hard, quickening her pace to ensure a quicker return home. She was going to lose Austin, too.

She didn't bother even greeting her father as she dashed past him to her room. She was going to lose the best thing that ever happened to her. There was no longer any hope left in her that she had a chance of remaining with Austin, she knew it was impossible, and she had only been fooling herself before. She was leaving.

There were so many things she wanted to say to Austin, so many things to do, and nowhere near enough time. And she had absolutely no idea how to tell him. The last time she'd been on the verge of leaving, she'd barely gotten up enough courage to let her friends know. This was a whole new scale of anxiety. Not only was she leaving, she wasn't coming back.

_____________________________________________________________________________

After Ally left the funeral, Austin once again felt alone, no matter how many people surrounded him. Then he saw Dez's red hair standing out. He frowned to himself, Ally had told him Trish and Dez weren't coming. But there they were. 

Austin almost didn't want to talk to them, he didn't know how to, didn't know what they'd say. He didn't know what to say back. 

They approached him, but didn't say anything at first. 

"Hey, Austin," Trish greeted softly.

"How ya feeling, buddy?" Dez asked. No one said they were sorry about Rebecka. They were  good friends, because they knew Austin didn't want any apologies, he could already tell they felt terrible for him.

"I'm fine," he lied. And they were good friends, because they knew he wasn't but they didn't try to bother him about it anymore. "Ally said you guys weren't coming," Austin pointed out critically. DEz just looked confused, but Trish shifted uncomfortably. Both boys looked at her, perplexed. 

"Trish...?"

"Weeeeell, Ally might be a little bit mad at me."

"Why?" Dez questioned. Trish knew she couldn't tell Austin or Ally would be furious, and most likely wouldn't speak to her ever again. And technically, Ally was also angry at Dez, so Trish didn't want to hurt his feelings by admitting that to him.

"It doesn't really matter right now. But she probably didn't want to have to see me, so she told you I wasn't here." Austin was considerably upset. Why had Ally lied to him, so easily? 

Then Trish's phone rang, and she took a few steps away to answer it. 

"Why didn't Ally just tell me the truth?" Austin wondered, hurt.

"I don't know, man. Maybe she's just upset about what Jimmy said."

"What? What did Jimmy say?"

"That he's moving Starr Records a few weeks early-" Trish ran up to Dez, ignoring whoever was on the phone, and pulled him away, but it was too late.