o n e

Saturday, November 14

Today is my second day awake. Emerson spent the entire day yesterday packing up my house. I am leaving the hospital this afternoon. Emerson has been settling at the side of my bed since I was admitted. I spin the plastic bracelet that has my basic information around my wrist. Two faint red tally marks shadow the bracelet.

Emerson taps my shoulder gingerly. "More water?"

"Please," I say. "Thanks."

"Sure thing." Emerson says as she exits the room.

I fly through the channels on TV. The news is reporting updates on the home invasion. They haven't been twisting anything I have told them.

The door swings open. Emerson appears with a worried look.

"There's more people outside for you." she says as she sets a water bottle next to my hip. "Do you want them gone?"

I nod. "If I am asked another question I will explode."

"I'll tell them to get lost." Emerson's green Converse squeak as she leaves. "I see Dr. Morrison making his way over here. Gosh, his hair is stuck in the 70's."

"I told you!" I laugh. "And good. My head is killing me."

Hours later, my aunt Nora rolls into the pick up zone. Thankfully, the reporters disappeared after Dr. Morrison examined my leg one last time. She went over the procedures with my cast. Taking a shower will definitely be a challenge...

"Odeya!" Aunt Nora pulls me into a big hug. "It's lovely to see you again. Come. Let's get you out of that wheelchair."

A young girl with her blonde hair in braids stands in front of Aunt Nora's van. She's clinging onto a pale yellow notebook. She glares at me as she slides open the passenger door.

Emerson wheels me to the side of the silver van. Aunt Nora slips her arm under my knees and her other arm around my back. She lifts me onto the seat. My cast thuds onto the floor.

"My bad!" Aunt Nora cringes. "Sorry, doll."

I buckle my seatbelt and reach over to shut the door. Emerson sits with the young girl in the back seats. Aunt Nora gets into the driver side.

"Lexi, this is your cousin. Her name is Odeya." Aunt Nora says.

I twist to look at her. "Hi, I'm Odeya,"

She stares at me with a blank expression.

My mom was never on good terms with her sister, my Aunt Nora. Ten years ago, Aunt Nora lived with my mom, brother and I. They would yell at each other constantly over the simplest things, like who was cooking breakfast. Timothy, my brother, and I weren't allowed to speak to her. Mom kicked her out because she was three months behind on paying her rent. She moved to an apartment and married Dennis.

Aunt Nora is on better terms now with Dennis, Lexi and a new house.

"Aunt Nora?" I ask as I freed myself from the seatbelt.

"Yes," She parks in the roundabout before her house.

I prop open my door. "Are you still working at the diner?"

She appears at my side. "Yes. I'm also the receptionist at the dentist on weekends."

Emerson hands me my crutches. My armpits burn once I reach the stained glass front door. The vine of roses catches the sunlight, reflecting on my skin.

"Lexi, show Odeya to her room, please." Aunt Nora says. "Emerson and I and going to bring in Odeya's boxes."

A decent sized family room is presented before me. The couches are a pale gray topped with decorative pillows. A flat screen TV is planted on the opposite wall. The kitchen is tucked behind a breakfast bar. All of the cabinets are pristine white with the perfect gray backsplash.