Chapter Eight

The workshop was a large circular room with enormous stained glass windows. Two large sets of stairs led to the upper level which housed various offices and departments. It was also where the main kitchen was located. Everywhere Jess looked there were brightly colored decorations or piles of toys. More toys were traveling on conveyer belts and being assembled by elves. Other elves were running through the workshop fulfilling their pre-Christmas duties. She had only been standing on the main floor for five minutes, and was already overwhelmed.

"How could anyone keep track of what goes on here?" Jess marveled as she watched Santa's helpers work.

"It's a tough job." Bernard agreed. "But someone's got to do it." He was trying to act casual about his job, but in truth Bernard loved being head elf. He liked that he had responsibilities. He liked that the other elves looked up to him both literally and figuratively. Through the years, the head elf had proven himself invaluable."Speaking of which, Santa you'd better start checking your list."

"Bernard you're right. There's only a few days left until Christmas!" Scott exclaimed. "I'll be with the list checkers. Charlie you want to come with me?"

"Well, I had a different idea." Charlie tugged on Bernard's sleeve so the head elf would bend down. He whispered something, and Bernard began to nod.

"Charlie has a couple of ideas for the Research and Development department." He explained. "I'll take him there myself if it's okay with you."

"As long as he won't be any trouble." Scott agreed. "Jessie, do you want to see the Naughty and Nice list?"

"I've seen the list, Dad." Jess rolled her eyes. "Remember it was shipped to our house?" She narrowed her eyes at Bernard, but he was too busy talking to Charlie.

"Oh yeah." Scott recollected. "Well, if you need me, any of the elves can show you the way." With that Scott headed upstairs to confer with his list checkers.

"C'mon Bernard!" Charlie pulled at Bernard's arm.

"Well Hang on Charlie, what about your sister?" The head elf questioned.

"I was wondering if I could help make some of the toys." Santa's daughter said.

"Do you know anything about making toys?" Bernard asked, crossing his arms.

"technically, no." Jess admitted sheepishly. "But I'm really involved in my High School's theater program. I build and design a lot of the sets. I bet I could assemble or paint toys." Bernard highly doubted Jessie could build elf quality toys, but he could see that she wanted to help.

"I can put you with the wooden trains crew." He replied after a thoughtful minute. Trains were easy enough to assemble, even Charlie could build one. If Jessie showed great promise with the trains, he could always move her up to something harder. "They're right over there. You'll want to talk to Cecilia, she's in charge of painting and assembling for all wooden toys."

"Thanks!" Jess bounced over to the area Bernard had pointed to. She had to ask around a little before finding Cecilia. Cecilia was a tiny blonde elf dressed from head to toe in powder blue. The Chief of Wooden Toys had a sharp eye for detail. She was standing over a workbench, painting spots on a wooden giraffe. "Cecilia?" The daughter of Santa Claus said quietly. She reached out to tap the elf on the shoulder but decided against it so as to not disrupt the painting process.

"Don't tell me the carpenters have stopped carving again!" Cecilia mumbled before she turned around. "Oh hello and who are you?"

"Hi, I'm Jess. Bernard said it would be all right for me to help paint and assemble trains." She answered. "That is if, it's alright with you." Cecilia couldn't really argue with orders that came from the head elf. Ignoring his wishes just wasn't worth the lecture.