Chapter Sixty-One

"Curtis there you are!" Bernard snapped when he saw his number two enter the Sick Bay. "Where have you been?"

"Just, checking up on my work sir. Uh, making sure the new Santa is settling in fine." Curtis hated lying to his best friend, but he also knew that the memory wiped version of Bernard wasn't really his best friend.

"Great." Bernard snarled. "You know I could check on the new Santa myself if SOMEONE WOULD GET ME OUT OF THIS BED!"

"I forgot how much you used to yell." Curtis mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Sorry, I was just saying let me get the doctor for you." Curtis returned minutes later with Dr. Hismus.

"Hello Bernard, how are you feeling?" The doctor smiled.

"Well, I 'd be feeling a lot better if I wasn't trapped in the infirmary." The Head Elf huffed.

"I'm sorry about that." The doctor was very sympathetic. "Let's talk about why you're still here then. Can you tell me what today is?"

"December 24, 1994."

"Okay, and can you tell me what some of the most popular toys for this Christmas are?"

"That would be My Size Barbies, Polly Pocket Pollyville Super Sets, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Action Figures, and Magna Doodles." Bernard rattled off a list of toys that hadn't been popular for almost a decade.

"I see. One last question, I'm sorry but I have to ask. What can you tell me about your family?"

"I don't have any." He answered plainly. "Now will you release me so that I can get back to work?"

"I'm afraid I can't release you today." Dr. Hismus frowned. "Unfortunately sir, you failed my cognition test..."

"Which means?"

"Which means you've suffered a severe case of memory loss. I'm sorry to inform you that today is not December 24, 1994, But in fact May 15, 2004."

"That's impossible!"

"It's not Bernard." Curtis stepped forward. "Ten years ago we got a new Santa, his name is Scott Calvin. That Christmas Eve you met Scott and his son Charlie. Then on Thanksgiving you met Santa's daughter Jessica. After a few years the two of you were married and she became an elf. Last year one December 22 your twin son and daughter were born."

"I don't believe it." Bernard shook his head.

"You should because it's the truth." No one had heard Scott enter the room, but he was now striding towards Bernard's bed. "And believe it or not, this joker's your best friend." He pointed at Curtis. "Hello Bernard, I'm Scott Calvin, the new Santa."

"I'd like to say that it's nice to meet you Santa, but given the circumstances..."

"It's alright. I understand." Scott chuckled. "You weren't too pleased to meet me the first time around. Listen, I just stopped by to see how you were doing the family's been asking about you."

"By family, I assume you mean my wife?" Bernard frowned.

"You remember?" The Head Elf shook his head regretfully.

"Sadly no, but Curtis mentioned her," Bernard struggled to sit up, he managed to, but only with the help of the doctor and Curtis. "I doremember reading something about memory loss before. They talked about how sometimes seeing someone or something significant can trigger a memory. I'd like to see her, my wife."

"I'm not sure that's such a good idea." Scott frowned, but Dr. Hismus didn't seem to feel the same way.

"I'm sorry Santa, but I think I have to agree with Bernard on this one. Scientific research has proven that an amnesiac's memory can be trigged into returning."

"Ok but shouldn't we start with something else? His office or Charlie or something like that?" Scott suggested. "I don't want to give her any false hope."

"I think we stand our best chance if we start with Jessica." The Doctor decided. "Barnard's not well enough to visit his office or even return home. Having her visit is a good move."

"Well, you're the doctor." Scott shrugged.

"Are you sure about this, Dad?" Jess asked as she walked back through the workshop with him.

"No, I am not sure." Scott replied bluntly. "I think this is a terrible idea, but that stubborn husband of yours and his doctor insist that this is the best plan."

"So, you don't think it's going to work?"

"I don't know." Her father shrugged. "But I just don't think you should get your hopes up."

"Well, he already has no idea who I am, so what's the worst thing that could happen? He can't forget me more." Sighing, Jess swung open the door to Sick Bay.

Bernard turned his attention to the doors. A short woman with wavy brown hair and hazel eyes had just entered the ward. He could see why he'd fallen for this girl in the first place. She might have been small, but she walked with such purpose and determination that she commanded the room. She didn't dress herself much like an elf either. That day she had on a blue sweater with white snowflakes, a pair of black wool leggings, a cozy pair of Uggs, and a familiar looking green velvet hat. She looked a beautiful as she did confident.

"I hope you don't mind. I borrowed your favorite hat." She told him sheepishly. "It's been hanging on the coat rack in the front hall since you fell off the roof."

"We'll just leave you two alone." Scott said. He started to pull Curtis out of the room and the doctor followed.

"Can I sit?" Jess asked now that they were alone.

"Be my guest, please." He invited. So she did.

"So, uh, I'm not sure exactly what they've told you. My name's Jessica, you call me Jessie most of the time. And I'm guessing you still don't remember me."

"I'm sorry, but I don't. At least not as my wife." Bernard frowned. "You were here when I came out of my coma, weren't you? Curtis lied and said you were his sister."

"I'm sorry he lied to you. We didn't know how to react."

"The feeling is mutual."

"It's so weird to see you like this." She laughed. "You're so raw. So prickly. I hadn't noticed this side of you disappear. I didn't realize I missed it."

"I've been this way for as long as I can remember."

"Since your father was Santa Claus." Jess remembered.

"How do you..."

"You told me. Right before our kids were born. You also told me about how much it hurt when your parents left you, and I promised you that would never happen again." Jess could feel tears well up in her eyes. "We built a life together and a family. I'm sorry, I know it doesn't help for me to cry." She wiped at her eyes.

"No," Bernard put a comforting hand on hers. "It helps. Maybe not to get my memory back, but it helps to know that we really do love each other. I never thought I'd ever get married. I'm glad it was at least to someone I know I cared about."

"But, if you can't remember me, how do you know we loved each other?"

"I can see it in the way you look in me. And I wouldn't tell just anyone about my parents. Curtis is the closest thing I have to a friend and even he doesn't know. Can I ask you a favor?"

"Whether you remember or not, you're my husband." Jess smiled. "I'd be happy to do anything you ask."

"Just promised me you won't give up on us. If not for me, then at least the version of me that remembers you. Just in case he comes back one day. He'll want you to still be at his side."

"I can do that." Jess promised.