Chapter 1: I Gotta Feeling

Start from the beginning

"Hello!" came Marcus again, this time a little less tentative and a little more energetic, as if matching Rae's level.

"Welcome, welcome to The Rush Hours," said Ian, and Marcus thanked them. "How are you finding the Philippines so far?" was the follow up. I wanted to focus on the conversation, but I spaced out, a billboard coming into view as the cab rolled onto the flyover.

It was big, occupying three buildings probably up to its twentieth floor. Five guys were there, photographed in mid-stride, looking too cool for school, and preppy. And they all had good hair. Above their heads were the words, Gezellig: Time Stands Still World Tour.

I found myself nodding in appreciation, because hey, they were actually easy on the eyes. I somehow understood why there was so much fuss over them, because if I only based it on the looks, they were pretty worth fangirling over.

"Yeah, we're very excited for the concert because we know our Filipino fans have waited a while for this," Marcus' voice floated back into my consciousness, making me wonder who he was among the five in the billboard. Did I space out that long? Did they ask him already if he or any of the boys have already tried our balut? Or our mangga with bagoong?

"So head on to the Araneta Coliseum this Saturday at eight in the evening, and we'll do our best to give you a wonderful time," Marcus finished. He had the type of voice that conveyed his emotions so well, and with the tone that he just used, I almost imagined him smiling.

"Oh we'll be there, trust us," says Rae, and I almost guffawed at how sweetly she said it.

Marcus let out a small laugh, replying with a flourish, "Salamat." Obviously, someone had been teaching him Filipino-at least the phrases that most foreign artists who come here are usually taught: Mabuhay! Mahal namin kayo. Salamat.

"See you all there!" Marcus said. After that I heard a click, and he was gone. Rae started to gush again, but I wanted some peace and sanity, so I switched off the radio.

After a few minutes, the cab slowed to a stop in front of my building, and when I entered through the doors, I realized the music blaring through the speakers was another Gezellig song.

I sighed in frustration.

They really were everywhere.

*****

"CAITLIN!"

I had only taken three steps into Logic Media when I was accosted with a mighty hug from my colleague, Lorin Perez, who also doubled as my best girl bud. She was in her usual jeans, tank top, and sneakers ensemble, but she made it look so stylish and beautiful. The bright smile on her face told me that there must be something more to this day than being bombarded by Gezellig everywhere. She repeated my name over and over as she twirled me in a hug.

"Whoa, what's up?" I asked her, laughing, and she finally released me. Her smile now turned into a full-fledged grin, reaching her eyes, and she flashed two blue laminated circles in front of me.

"What are...?" My voice trailed as I leaned closer, and I finally realized what they were. Gezellig was stylized in red, in a font that Lorin once told me was their trademark font.

Under the band's name were the words Super VIP.

"Gezellig concert tickets. Super freaking VIP," I said, my enthusiasm dampening a bit.

"Yes!" she said, jumping up and down. "Our client pulled through! Marion just sent these over!"

Wow. I knew the perks of our job included getting tickets to different events that our clients sponsor—concerts and movie tickets included—but when they were in demand, we didn't rely on our connections. We had to get them ourselves. Unfortunately for Lorin, Gezellig concert tickets sold out in under an hour, and she was in a series of meetings on the day of the release.