Puppy and Big Dog

(A/N: Saul's wolf form.)

[Nolan]

It was Saturday morning and the sun shined beautifully through the curtains, the light showing the blinds' shadow on the wall. I sat up in my bed with my knees to my chest and my head rolling. I had the TV on, but wasn't really paying attention. I was just trying to relax myself so I wouldn't have to think about yesterday last night's dream with Dad. Since I stayed talking to Mrs. Tali and not him, he visited me when I fell asleep. First thing I did was tackle him into a hug.

It's only right since he's physically not with me anymore. We talked of course, but we got serious when he brought up how badly Mom talked about him to Gordie's folks. I tried not to shed a tear, but they came anyway when I apologized for not defending him enough. He brought my head to his chest and patted my head, rubbing my back for comfort. Every time I told him I was sorry, he'd say it's not my fault and instead how it's Mom's.

When he told me how much he loves bed me for trying, the crying stopped, and everything went back to normal. He still rubbed my back as we walked to nowhere in particular, just some path and bridge. When I looked up, I saw so much snow everywhere and ice cycles from every branch of the trees. Dad stopped when we reached the middle of the bridge and smiled as he looked up. "There's something good about this place. Gives you a warm feeling. Ironically. Feels you with joy and makes the pain almost nonexistent. Feel it, Nolan?"

I tilted my head like a dog  wouldat. "What? All I see is snow. How warm can that be?"

My question was answered when he took my hands and pressed them onto the wooden rail of the bridge. Immediately all of the snow melted, and the whole scenery went to Fall. Yellow, orange, red, brown, and purple leaves were in the exact spots they'd originally been before. The fallen ones were scattered on bridge and grass, even floating in the stream.

When I I looked down as Dad told me, I was completely amazed at the reflection I saw; Dad looked as if he'd never died. Sure his appearance was a peaceful spirit, but his reflection made him look very much alive and well. He glowed, his hair and facial hair were the same deep brown they once were. His eyes that piercing jade. But most of all his smile was what nearly convinced me that he was alive and well.

When I looked back at up to him, I saw a lesser version of it. My mood faltered again of what little happiness is just gained, but his smile helped me keep what all I had left inside. Wrapping an arm on my shoulders, he began telling me not to worry about things and how something good is coming my way. I smiled to those words of encouragement, laying my head on his shoulder.

Sadly, the dream was ending because he told me how eventful (idk) today would be, and how I'd better hurry and fix myself up for breakfast. "As much as you'd love to stay forever and chat, your old man can't make you breakfast unless we're at home in another dream. I'll be in the cafeteria when you come out."

Come out, huh? I laughed at the phrase. "I think I did at an early age and without knowing it, Dad."

He thumped my forehead and chuckled. "Oh you know what I mean, knucklehead! And I still love you no matter what." He hugged me once more before parting ways, "Now go eat. I think I saw a custom omelets option on the menu that Tali lady made on the board, so go."

With that and a kiss on the forehead, I was up and in the bathroom washing my face and brushing my teeth. I combed and brushed hair until is was partly wavy and had a good enough right side part. Satisfied (even if I had a bed head), I kept on my night clothes and stayed in the middle of the bed watching the old Cartoon Network and switching to the weather channel from time to time.

The weatherman said that tonight at midnight the mini blizzard will have hit Milwaukee. Judging by the looks of preparations of this town and hotel, I'm pretty sure everyone will be warmed up for it. So with my hoodie and some sweatpants on tucked in my boots, I turned my TV off and left with my phone in hand. I waved at Mrs. Tali as we met in the middle of the lobby.