4 - Accept a Punch from Her Best Friend

Magsimula sa umpisa

          "Even your father?" I asked.

          "Especially my father. Who knows what terrible things he could do with his gun?"

          I have to slow down to look at her. Isn't she supposed to exclude her father? I'm sure she knows him too well to be sure he's not going to do something bad.

          Margoth probably noticed the strange look in my face because she started grinning at me. Now I'm not sure if she's being real or just playing with me.

          "Of course I'm not an exception. I said everyone, right? It's just that we will always have reasons to commit crimes but it's up to us if we will consider those and ruin ourselves," her further explanation. I stopped asking questions and gave my full attention to the road.

          Ever since that night when I almost lost my life because of a failed transaction with a customer, I started accepting works through online. True, the incident scared the hell out of me but it wasn't enough to stop me from forging signatures and other paper works. I need money to sustain myself. I can take jobs like being a janitor or a fast food crew but forging is where I'm good at. It's illegal and all but I'm still outside the prison, you see?

          "Taking it slowly but surely?" She jested. At first I wasn't sure what she was talking about but then I realized I've slowed down again.

          "Sorry. Are you rushing?" I stepped onto the gas pedal to increase my speed.

          "No I just... I remembered Erwin. Whenever he drives me home he's like always rushing. He drives too fast that it sometimes scares me. But then he would suddenly hit the brake and we'll just laugh it off," she said smiling. She was looking at me but I feel like her mind was wandering somewhere else.

          Psychopaths are self-destructive. They don't care about what's going to happen next. Now is the only thing that matters to them. If Margoth would only pay more attention to him she's going to figure out what his nature really is.

          "But most of the time he makes me feel special and safe," she added.

          People say ignorance is bliss. After hearing what Margoth said I suddenly want to believe that that is true. What you don't know won't hurt or scare you. If only she knew Erwin really well, if only she saw half the things I saw, if only she could hear everything he says she'll immediately forget what safe means. I wish she knew. I wish I could tell her.

          Margoth took out her phone and stayed looking at it for a few seconds.

          "Do you mind going a little bit faster?" She spoke shyly. "Sorry it's just that my brother's already home and I'm really excited to see him again."

          I was compelled to face her. Erwin never told me she has a brother. Two men will be tailing him once he hurt Margoth. I hope they could kill him before he kills them.

          "Does Erwin know that you have a brother?" I asked.

          "I forgot to tell him. But he doesn't have to worry. William is a very caring brother and he's not as scary as our father, really."

          I saw it as an opportunity to finally outsmart Erwin. Just imagine him seeing Margoth's brother for the first time. He's gonna watch all his plans crumble to dusts. I know eventually he'll come up with another plan but I just want to witness that smug expression vanishing from his face.

          Margoth thanked me when we reached her house. I watched her enter their door before I drove away. The sheriff's house was just like any other houses in Halsworth—white, small, and made out of wood. They have potted plants outside and their lawn was covered with Bermuda grass.