Chapter Twenty

Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved.

     .::Treacherous: Chapter Twenty::.

~*~

It was sad for me to say that both Lilly and I had caught the sniffles. I’d woken up, in Jason arms, feeling a blockage in my nostrils and an ache between my eyes that hurt enough to make me stay in bed with a groan.

     Jason had left only moments ago to fetch me a cup of hot milo, when the flaps of the tent were pulled apart. The sunlight peered through the gap, before disappearing after I let out a moan of dissatisfaction. I looked up, with great effort, through squinted eyes to see Leon standing before me. I blinked in surprise and sat up quickly, wondering what in the world he could want.

     “Uh, Leon, what are you doing here?” I asked nonchalantly, though inside I was slightly freaking out. He stepped forward, keeping his eyes trained on me, and smiled. Though, from where I was sitting, it looked almost forced.

     “Avery, I am sorry about the other night, my hometown is a bad subject to bring up, if you haven’t noticed already.” He said, almost mockingly.

     I wasn’t buying it, just because of the look on his face. “Ditto.”

     He sucked his lips between his teeth and I watched as he observed my every movement. “I know Jason thinks there’s something iffy with me at the moment, but I just wanted to clear the air, with the both of you.” I squinted my eyes at him as he explained.

     “Then why did you wait for him to leave, before seeing me?”

     His lips tilted into a smile, “you don’t miss a beat, do you?”

     And in that moment, as something – something completely malicious and evil – flashed across Leon’s eyes, the tent flaps were shoved apart and Jason entered.     A cup of hot chocolate in hand with a plate of toast and nutella in the other, completely oblivious as he kicked the flaps closed.

     “So, Alex burnt the other pancakes we had and–” He stopped talking when he almost bumped into Leon. He narrowed his eyes at him, and roughly shoved passed him, putting the stuff in his hands down next to me, before standing to his full height.

     “What are you doing in here?” He asked lowly, and I knew I wasn’t about to speak up. This was a question directed at Leon, not me.

Leon held up his hands in a surrendering gesture, taking an amused step back.         

     “Chill, I was just apologising to her for how I acted the other night.

      Jason looked at him for a moment, before crossing his arms. “I still don’t want you talking to you her. She doesn’t deserve to be spoken to like that, especially about something like that.” He said, referring to my parents. I took a long, deep breath.

     Deep breaths. It’s fine; they’ve been gone for years now. It’s normal.

     Leon nodded his head, as if he expected that and shifted his eyes back to me. “I guess I’ll see you around.” He said, taking another step back.

     “Dude,” Jason started as he stepped up to Leon and grabbed him roughly by his T-shirt front. I was already on my feet, forgetting all about the dizziness in my head and the blockage in my nose.

     “Jason!”

     Jason’s dark eyes slid to me before a muscled locked in his jaw. He shoved Leon toward the entrance of the tent. “I need to talk to you.” He turned back to me and Leon glared at Jason and stepped out of the tent.