Chapter 1

2003, Brooksfield Orphanage, London

“Aly!” Niall walked around the orphanage, searching for his best friend. “Alyssa?”

“Niall!” he heard a whisper from behind him, and he knew that he had found his best friend. And just in time for tea break, too.

“Aly? What are you doing here?” His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Alyssa usually did not hide behind the cabinet unless…

“Are those idiots making fun of you again?” Disgust and hatred dripped off his words. It was scary, how growing up in an orphanage had forced Niall to grow up faster than his counterparts of the same age. The difference was so apparent that he actually speaks like an adult sometimes.

Alyssa nodded her head dejectedly. Ever since she has been placed here after her parents’ deaths, the older kids have been mocking her. What they don’t realize is that some time ago, they have been in her place. Lost, confused, and feeling unloved.

“I swear on those yummy tea biscuits that I’ll beat the h-” Alyssa’s eyes widened. “Okay, no curse words. I’ll just beat the… candies… out of them, all right?” Niall’s eyes shone with mischief.

Alyssa shook her head. The last time Niall took “revenge” was when a group of young parents were visiting, and he had accidentally spilt fruit punch on someone.

That someone also happened to be a person who was considering adopting Niall. But still, Niall didn’t seem too mad about it then, even when he found out.

“Oh c’mon, don’t worry about the previous time.” Niall grinned. “I was going to tell you something then, but you seemed so sad that I did not want to hurt you even more.”

Confused, Alyssa’s eyes looked up to Niall, and he realized with agony that she had been crying. The tears had dried up, but there were still tear stains on her cheeks. He crouched down to her height and used a tissue to wipe away the stains. When he was done, he realized that Alyssa had been staring at him, awaiting his next statement with silent anticipation.

“I spilled the fruit punch on that woman on purpose,” he finally confessed, and his lips curved into a boyish, lopsided grin. “I wanted to stay here with you forever, or at least until they chase us out.”

“Really?” Alyssa’s lips curved into a shy smile. It wasn’t much, but it mattered a lot to Niall. She hasn’t been smiling much ever since the older kids made fun of her every move. It was as if her happiness was an unwelcome toxic to them.

“Yeah, really,” Niall smiled, and he kissed Alyssa’s forehead before the both of them stood up and walked towards the meal room together.

2004, Brooksfield Orphanage, London.

“Niall? Niall!” the social worker’s voice rang through the entire hallway.

Niall placed his fingers over his lips as he looked at Alyssa, wide-eyed. They were both hiding in a cupboard after Niall had seen the lady whom he had spilled the fruit punch on enter the doors of the orphanage. Alyssa simply nodded, ever following the unofficial leader of them both.

“Is she here to punish you?” Alyssa mouthed her concerns to Niall.

Niall replied with a casual shrug. He wasn’t that concerned about that, he had seen his file in the woman’s hands, and he had a suspicion as to what she was here for.

And he hated that. He hated that even though he did not want to leave Alyssa, there was a part of him that wanted to know what it would feel like to have a real family.