20 - Nice Guys Finish Last

Before I could speak, the phone rang, breaking the pressure off both of us. I stay where I was and just stare at Chucky who was doing the same. I look away and at the phone when the call automatically went to voicemail.

The machine beeped, "Hey Molly, it's Jason." I start to panic hearing his name, "I was kinda expecting a call from you but...you know...I just-can you please come back? Can we at least talk about this?"

As Jason's message kept playing, I stand up and glare at Chucky, "Cut it off." I say and walk into my room, closing it behind me.

I left him in the living room. I just don't really know what to say. It didn't come out of my mouth 'cause I'm scared. I'm scared he might laugh at my face. I know sometimes I feel like he gets me, but I'm still not sure if he can take whatever I'm about to confess.

* * *

   I take a deep breath and pull the wire off the phone. I'm lucky enough she decided to come in her room instead of listening to this pleading ass on the phone. I have a feeling this guy's planning something. I mean, why does he keep bothering her? It's been a month and- oh shit. This guys got the hots for her. Nuh-uh, no way in hell he's getting close to her.

   He'll ruin my plan. But I guess, if he wants to get in it as well, I'll put him in it. I snicker on my own as I head to the kitchen taking a knife, then I go back to the room to find myself writing a love note for Jason. After I'm finished, I look at my masterpice,

'Dear Jason, I'm sorry I couldn't show up. I'm just really busy. But I would love to meet you again this weekend at the nearest abandoned warehouse in the city. To make sure we're alone, because I want to be alone, with you after all this time. I miss you. -Megan'

   Oh boy, this is going to be perfect. Anyone so stupid and blinded from love will surely fall for this, right? I laugh at myself again and head out quietly without alarming Megan.

   Sorry about this, Prettyface. I'm just doing this for you 'cause I owe you. Yeah, nothing else but that. I just owe you and that's it. That's the only reason behind it all. What? Jealous? Me? No way. I just care for you. You're my bitch, you know. My really, really hot bitch... with those perfect eyes and lips, and skin that lights up during the night... you know? you get me, right? right.

Yeah, that can explain it. That might work, if I hold out my feelings long enough, this fake reason will be believable to her. But...she's too damn clever. She's an agent, or, she was. She'll realize I'm lying. Well I guess I can do better than that. Oh, whatever. I need to get my head straight. I have something to deal with right now. No prettyface, you hear that, Chucky? so shut the fuck up and focus.

* * *

   A waitress stands on her counter and glances on a piece of folded paper with 100 bucks on it. She looks at it and thinks for a moment, studying the paper.

   Jason patiently sits in the coffee shop, his hands clasped together. He looks around then glances on his phone, hoping for a text or a phone call. He starts wriggling his foot onto the table until a waitress leaves a folded paper on his desk. He eyes her and she gives him a faint smile and leaves him alone. He narrows his eyebrows and looks down on the piece of paper, he unfolds it and reads the message.

"Warehouse?" he mumbles,

Chucky, who was hiding behind one of the empty sections of the room, was listening carefully and watching Jason. "Come on," he whispers.

Jason smirks, "Oh Molly. You still got it." he chuckles softly and shakes his head.

"Well, well. The fucker bought it." Chucky mumbles and sniggers, creeping out of the shop.