The first and second shops disagreed on their valuations by almost five thousand pounds. Both also offered slightly less than they had valued them at, citing that they would need to make a profit on them.

In the third shop, a Mr Raison valued them higher than both the other shops and offered Carrie exactly what he had appraised the jewels at, saying that he would reset many of the stones from the broach into other jewellery, which he could sell for a greater cost over all.

Since she didn't have a bank account yet and didn't want to carry cash, she arranged to return that afternoon after Fred had seen Mr Lennox and exchanged the jewellery for a bankers draft.

"You're rich," Fred teased after they had collected the bankers draft.

They were heading to the railway station, Carrie's hand resting on Fred's elbow. Carrie grinned at his words, for indeed she was rich now.

"What will you spend it on?" Fred asked.

"I don't know. I suppose I should buy us a house."

"Us?" he asked.

"Your family has taken me in and treated me as one of their own, I think it only fair I treat them the same. I wonder what houses in Milton cost?"

"I can't claim any knowledge of that," Fred said. "But I thank you for your kindness to my family. My mother said you had some very odd ideas but that she liked you very much."

"I can live with odd," Carrie shrugged, then her mood darkened. "It's just a shame she won't get to share in this joy with us."

"But she will be happy that you're looking after her husband and daughter."

"I hope so." After the turmoil of the last few days, Carrie felt herself overcome with emotion.

"Oh no, you must not cry at such a happy time," Fred gently chided, handing her his handkerchief.

"I know, it is very ungrateful of me." She quickly got herself back under control and dried her eyes.

They soon arrived at the station and bought their tickets, Carrie heading north to Milton and Fred journeying south to Portsmouth.

"I know we only met recently, and in rather unhappy circumstances," Carrie said as they prepared to part company, "but I feel like I've known you forever."

She thought most people probably felt that way after meeting Fred, for he was such an affable and kind hearted person that it was easy to like him.

"Well, I suppose you are the next best thing to a sister now," he said.

"I've never had a brother," Carrie smiled.

"Well then, the next time we meet I shall be sure to climb a few trees with you and taunt you with some captured insects so that you have a true appreciation of what having a brother feels like."

"That I believe I will pass on," Carrie laughed, then hugged him tightly. "Now, you take care on your journey home. And please write if Mr Lennox has any news, good or bad."

"I will. You look after yourself too, won't you?"

"I will," she assured him. "Say hello to Dolores for me."

As she rode back to Milton, Carrie felt lighter than she had for some time. She had means now. She could never have dreamed how much her jewellery would be worth here, especially since so few women wore diamonds, she had assumed they were unpopular. How wrong she had been.

The first thing she would do was buy a house for them all. Then a piano. She could even give lessons on it if she wanted.

Then perhaps she could buy more houses to rent out? Yes, that would be a good long term investment and provide them with a regular income.