I Am Here

Copyright (c) 2015 InfiniteZeros I AM HERE

-

     Sighing, I looked up using my hand as a shield from the sun. I huff, putting my bony hands on the chipping wood rectangles. I climbed up the ladder to the tree house above. Panting, I push myself over the lip and into the actual house. There Matthew laid on a beach towel staring at the roof.

     "Hey." I say quietly, walking up to him. He glances up at him, I can see a speck of sadness in his eye.

     "Hey." He scoots over for me to sit by him. I knew once I sat down, it would take me an eternity to get up, but I sat anyways.

     "What are you doing here?"

     "Nothing." Matthew moved his hands and clasped them underneath his hand. He did not say anything after that. Guilt crept on me, he seems uncomfortable. I grimaced. Sighing inaudibly, I bury my face in my knees.

     We were like that for a good 10 minutes, "Do you want me to leave?" I quietly ask.

     "It's whatever you want." He replies equally quiet.

     "I'll stay here with you." I say, keeping the quiet tone.

     "Alright." He nearly whispers. His arm comes around my back. I gently lean back on to it until I'm laying beside him, his arm around my shoulder.

     "Do you miss them?" He breathes out.

     "Everyday." I snuggle into his side, his arm around me pulls me closer.

     "I wish they would visit."

     "They're off raising their kids."

     "But they never came back. All we have left of them is this tree house."

     "And the memories." I add. We went quiet again.

     After a while, Matthew asks, "Do you think they miss us?"

     "I don't know, but I hope they do." I answer truthfully.

     "I wish they were here."

     "Yeah." I paused for moment, "You know I am here; I'm always here."

     "I know." He goes to press a kiss to my forehead. I look up at him, and he redirects the kiss to my lips. "I love you."

     "I love you too." I smile.