17 Soundtracks

Soundtrack One- Track One

The rain gently tiptoed along the windshield as I stare straight ahead, hands gripping the steering wheel, hell bent on getting the 17 CD's in the back seat of my car to Drew's house before he did it. Before he decided it wasn't worth it. Before he gave up on everything we could be. I knew if he just listened to at least the first one, he might come back and change his mind.

I turned up the radio and listened to the music blaring through the speakers. I wouldn't give up, this isn't the end. There's still time to do this. I was reassured by the serenade of the voice on the radio. All I had left was based on these CD's.

💿📀💿📀

The first CD was made the night of the Haunted House, the day before Halloween. I tapped my foot impatiently as I stood on the front porch, waiting for Drew to pull up in his Dad's BMW. I changed the song on my iPod, the first song on the first CD's track.

Drew pulls up to my driveway (34 minutes and 26 seconds late) and waves a hand out the window. I fix my hair and walk to the car. He hops out in front of me and opens the door for me. "After you, Dallie."

I climb in, noticing the car still smells new. Drew and I had been texting all day, everyday, for the past month. I guess this was the first official date kind of? I had been so nervous getting ready and finally settled on wearing my purple and grey striped hoodie my mom says makes my eyes pop and a pair of black vans and skinny jeans. Not too dressy. Just casual. That was before I knew Drew liked me in hoodies best.

"Take your earbuds out so I can talk to you, my god, Dallie." Drew says, tugging an earbud out playfully.

"Fine, Fine." It was the end of the song anyways. The first track on the first CD. The song he never heard, but the song I was listening to when i saw him pull into my driveway with that cheesy grin on his face, the purple sky dip dyed in red and yellow in the background, lighting up his face like a lightbulb in a dark room. That's what I think of when I hear that first song.