Chapter 5 - New Routine

Start from the beginning

"Is that all you got, Mr. Becket?" She taunted as she caught his fist and twisted his arm behind his arm. He grimaced at the slight pain that shot up his shoulder and she loosened her grip, not wanting to hurt him so soon after he had healed. He took the advantage and elbowed her in the gut. She let him go and he ended the spar with a quick swipe to her legs. She landed on her back but as she fell she let her leg whip out and catch him behind the knees. He landed on top of her and all the air was pushed from her lungs.

"It's Raleigh." He corrected her, as he propped himself up on his elbow. She was still catching her breath and letting the pain in her chest ease away.

"I'll remember that for next time." She wheezed. He chuckled at her and got up. She laid there for a moment in the snow looking up at the sky.

"Let's get you inside." He put his hand out for her and she grabbed his forearm. She let him pull her up. Once she was on her feet he wrapped an arm around her shoulders and guided her inside as she shivered from the cold. Her clothes were wet and the wind wasn't helping.

Inside the house, he pulled her to the fireplace that was already lit. Shaking violently, finally realizing how cold she really was she pulled off her tank top and sweatpants to eliminate some of the colds that were touching her body. She sat with her arms wrapped around her knees in only her sports bra and underwear. When Raleigh joined her again he was in dry clothes and he had her father's sweater in one hand and a thick blanket in the other. He tossed her the sweater and she quickly pulled it on. As soon as she pulled her head through the blanket was tossed over her shoulders. She smiled up at with chattering teeth. He returned the smile and moved into the kitchen.

"Where is your tea?" He asked her.

"H...h...Hot...hot chocolate....is i...in...in the cupboard....cupboard above the....the stove." She chattered out as best she could. She saw him chuckling at her and she couldn't muster up a glare in her chilled state. She could feel the heat beginning to return to her fingers.

"Here you go. One hot chocolate for you. One hot chocolate for me." He sat down beside her and handed her a steaming mug. She eagerly took the mug and sighed as it warmed her hands. "Better?" He inquired. All she could muster was a nod as she blew on the hot liquid. She wanted nothing more than to take a drink but she knew that the liquid would scald her tongue.

They say there in silence, watching the flames and just enjoying each other's company. She found herself fighting to keep her eyes on the flames. Every now and then she would glance over at him from the corner of her eye but she would look away just as quick when he would catch her looking. Ever since the kiss she had been finding it difficult to keep eye contact with him when they were talking. She would easily find herself lost in his eyes but by looking away she found it easier to ignore the feelings that were beginning to bubble up inside. It had nearly been two and a half months and she was already starting to fall for him. How could she not though? He was attractive and smart and funny when he was in a good mood.

He was like her, he knew what loss was on a level that even she didn't know but they understood each other. The more she got to know him the more she found herself wanting to know more. She could only pray that the attraction was mutual. Before the Kaiju had created world panic and chaos she had been rejected one too many times and after a while, she found it difficult to put herself out there and risk what little self-esteem she still had. In this ending world, she wanted nothing more than to have the chance at love, a chance at a happy ending. The moment she realized she was starting to care for Raleigh she had tried to deny it but the feelings were too strong. Now she was in a constant battle with herself. Should she make the first move or wait for him so she knew she wouldn't get rejected? She didn't know and it was killing her.

Sitting in front of the fireplace in complete silence was blissful and she wished she could stay like this forever with him. Just having him near her calmed her down.

"Do you ever wish you could go back and change things? Do anything different?" He asked her suddenly. She looked over at him and once again she could see the regret in his eyes.

"No. Things happen for a reason. We may not understand right now but the things we endure shape each and every one of us for a reason." She told him. "You wish you could go back and not be a Jaeger pilot." She said. He nodded in affirmation and she gave him a sad look.

"Yes. Maybe he would be here still." He sighed. She reached over and grabbed his hand.

"You cannot dwell on what could be, Raleigh. Even if you two hadn't been pilots he may not still be alive. There is no telling what could have happened." She explained. He laced their fingers and she watched his eyes soften as he stared at their hands. She was thankful he wasn't paying attention to her because he would have seen the color in her cheeks.

"I'm glad I'm here." He told her. He looked up at her and gave her a small smile. "I would probably be back at the Shatterdome had I been taken to a hospital."

She didn't say anything. There wasn't any need to say anything. For the next months to come, this became their routine. On days she had off from work, they would go for a three-mile run and come back to the cabin for lunch. After lunch, they would go out onto the beach and he would teach her how to fight. By the time fall came around their sparring had turned into a rhythmic dialogue. They knew each other's fighting weaknesses and strengths and would play off of them. Raleigh began to smile and mess around with her more often and she was glad to see that teaching her how to fight had brought him a sense of normalcy. 

He no longer sat in their room and sulked. He helped around the house and when he felt fit enough he had joined in on the construction of the coastal wall. No one had known who he was and for that, she knew he had been grateful, but she knew that he was now being watched. The Jaeger program knew he was alive and they intended to keep tabs on him. They would go out for groceries and there would always be the same man watching them. She knew the man wouldn't hurt them but being watched left her unnerved. Raleigh didn't seem to notice, or if he did he didn't let it bother him. So she never said anything about it and they went about their lives like normal Alaskans. For the first time in a long time, she felt at ease and normal. She had Raleigh to thank for that, and she dreaded the day he was called back into action because it was inevitable.