He pointed to the shell.

“Since you love the beach, you can always keep it close to your heart.” He touched a small point on my chest, where my heart would be.

It felt warm and tingly, and I turned red yet again. I really needed to focus.

I blinked, back to business.

“It may be my birthday, but we still have to get work done,” I pointed out.

“Then let’s get to it.”

***

Back at home, I’d barely stepped through the door when Ariel jumped on me.

“Happy, happy birthday!” she giggled with excitement.

Her eyes shone brightly like a cartoon characters. She took my hand and pretty much yanked me to my own living room, where an entire relaxation space was placed. There were little, paper flower decorations hanging from the walls. Little, flameless candles were gathered and placed here and there, which really added to the spa-like atmosphere.

Cassie was sitting on the couch, shaking a bottle of scarlet nail polish.

“Happy Birthday!” They both shouted, jumping up.

I laughed. “Guys, this is fantastic! How long did it take to set up?”

Cass shrugged. “About an hour, but it was worth it.”

“Plus, we get free mani-pedis too!” chimed in Ariel.

I half-grinned. “I knew there was some incentive for you two.”

Ariel laughed and picked up a cotton pad dipped in polish remover. “Nah, but it was mostly for you.”

She started wiping off my nails. She then picked up a nail polish brush and started painting. Fun fact of the day: Ariel was amazing at nail art. She always had super cute nails – right now, she was rocking the Union Jack.

On mine, she created a city skyline, complete with an ombre blue-to-purple background, lit-up buildings and a crescent moon.  How she did it, I would never know. I was completely mesmerized by her talent.

On my sister’s nails, she painted a blue sky with fluffy white clouds and an adorable bright sun. It was a bit like I was exchanging a part of my world with my sister, through our manicures. I know I sounded really silly and childish, but I still smiled warmly at the fact.

When we were done with our little spa afternoon, we got dressed. While I slipped on the red dress, I got a bit nervous, and my heart was thumping like a gorilla in my chest. I was worried, yet again, about whether I was showing too much skin and if I looked awkward. I was kind of a total klutz, so I was unsure if I would make a wrong move and expose more boobage than was intended.

Cassie saw my furrowed brows and laughed at my expression.

“Stop worrying! You look fan-freaking-tastic in that dress! Damon would be lucky to have you,” she said, pecking me on the cheek.

 I sighed, through smiling, and turned to look at her.

In full fashionista mode, she wore a flowy, nude romper with long sleeves and shoulder cut-outs. It was short, so it showed off her long dancer’s legs, which wore trendy gold and white cork wedges. To add some colour, she wore a gorgeous flower crown headband with light pink and magenta blooms. Her softly curled hair framed her face perfectly, and she’d applied her makeup with expert- like precision.

In comparison to her, I looked like a troll, while she was an ethereal fairy. I sighed again, closing my eyes.

“I don’t think I can do this,” I mumbled.